• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Redesigned site

FWIW I'm still seeing it in dark mode on computer and phone.
af.jpg

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
That's not the lower left.

1695401265890.png

Anyway I tried clicking it and the only choice I get is this new one or the dark one. I'm sure it used to be green or more colourful or something.

I checked waybackmachine for the home page Android Forums and got this, which is different but not as colourful as I remember it: Android Forums

I'm sure it used to be so much different, I thought this was the wrong website when I used it today.

If you slide back the date on waybackmachine, it changes all the time. I hate redesign for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What do you mean by "a regular forum page"? On the page I'm using to type this reply, there's a menu to the left as my screenshot shows. I assumed that was the screen being referred to, since this is where I would be when reading that instruction.

Having looked at the waybackmachine, I can only assume the minor change over the last few months to some of the icons, and the title at the top, was exaggerated by my memory, causing me to think I was on the wrong website. I haven't bookmarked this site, I just type android forums into a search engine, so I thought I'd forgotten which one was this site.

I seriously remember seeing the whole background (which is now white) as being green! Waybackmachine is lying, someone has fiddled about with reality!

Upvote 0
How on earth can a browser move a menu? There's something badly wrong with a browser if it places a menu left or top.

And no, I just checked - Firefox and Edge also show it on the left, even on another computer. Have you changed a preference on the site somewhere?

I thought it might be screen resolution, but when I shrink the browser window, it's still on the left.

Upvote 0
What happened to this website?
Good eye! Nice to see people noticing :)

We're in the process of making A LOT of huge changes to the site and in the process things will start to look VERY different. You should expect a lot more changes and discombobulation while we iron out a new idea/concept to propel our community for the next 10 years.

Upvote 0
Good eye! Nice to see people noticing :)

We're in the process of making A LOT of huge changes to the site and in the process things will start to look VERY different. You should expect a lot more changes and discombobulation while we iron out a new idea/concept to propel our community for the next 10 years.
As long as you improve it, not make things more complicated like Ebay keep on doing.

Ok, now my menus are at the top! Why was mine delayed?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if you were making a joke or what.
I was being serious.

I enabled the sidebar view in this new theme. Like you, I was missing seeing the options at the top. Thankfully, after your comment I looked into it, and there's an option to display them at the top (until you're mobile and then it collapses into a menu).

I think different people are seeing different themes because of the style switcher in the very bottom left of the main content area. I have been toying with those and so different people are seeing different things based on whatever styles I made active when they visited the site.

Regarding the open invite on commentary: as long as I'm alive to regret it, I don't think I'll mind!

Upvote 0
I don't understand dark themes, do people view websites by candlelight or something?

Another suggestion, use the whole width of the monitor, I'm only on 1920*1080 and the sides are just blank.

I was referring to my habit of getting banned for being rude :)

Sometimes I'm viewing websites in a dark environment. :)

A main benefit of dark modes is with AMOLED screens, they consume less power with dark mode, batteries will last longer.

I don't like the current fashion of having everything in whiter shades of pale, like the new design of this website, also Windows 11, and anything Google.

Reactions: Rob
Upvote 0
I don't like the current fashion of having everything in whiter shades of pale, like the new design of this website
Xenforo (our forum software) just announced XF 2.3 and the first feature they're showcasing is an easier way to handle light/dark themes, so stay tuned! Hopefully we'll be able to update to the new version in the coming months.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Sometimes I'm viewing websites in a dark environment. :)

Oo er!

Actually I've turned the living room light off for a bit to shut that noisy parrot up. But my eyes aren't bothered by a white web page.

A main benefit of dark modes is with AMOLED screens, they consume less power with dark mode, batteries will last longer.

I like wasting power. Just get more battery.

I don't like the current fashion of having everything in whiter shades of pale, like the new design of this website, also Windows 11, and anything Google.

Maybe you should see an optician? Paper is white. Have you ever bought a book with black paper and white ink?

Upvote 0
Xenforo (our forum software) just announced XF 2.3 and the first feature they're showcasing is an easier way to handle light/dark themes, so stay tuned! Hopefully we'll be able to update to the new version in the coming months.
I like the ability to paste images from the clipboard. Ther're a lot of forums requiring you to paste into a photo editor, save the file, then attach it. Or worse, upload it to a 3rd party site then try to link it.

Mind you, this forum does have my pet hate. Removing the double spacing from between my sentences. It's how I choose to write, it's easier to read, and it's been proved you can read faster when sentences are seperated. Why on earth would a forum want to dictate what is a personal preference? And in some cases you might want a whole load of spaces for formatting.

No indents.
Two preceding spaces.
Four preceding spaces.

And there we have it, no indents, yet when I go to edit it, it remembers they're there!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones