• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Review of Anker BT Wireless (A7909) 5W speaker w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of Anker BT wireless (A7909) speaker. http://www.ianker.com/product/A7909011 , also available on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RMYQU06/?tag=vectron00-20

It has been awhile since I reviewed a new product from Anker, and I was getting a bit worried thinking they slowed down with their new releases. Just as soon as this thought crossed my mind, I had a new BT speaker from Anker waiting for my review! I don’t have to tell you how saturated smartphone accessories market is with wireless speakers, so I was curious was Anker came up with to stand out from competition "crowd". Let’s take a closer look.

It’s no longer a surprise all Anker products arrive in environmentally safe carton packaging. As a matter of fact, they were the originators of that trend, quickly followed by most other accessory manufacturers. The cover sleeve has a nice clean image of the speaker, and after you slide it out and open the box, you will find A7909 model with included accessories.

Unboxing.

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-01_zpsxwxn7tdo.jpg

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-02_zpspbiq49zv.jpg

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-03_zps4i9nsvav.jpg

Accessories include a sturdy USB to micro-usb charging cable, 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector (for direct wired connection of the speaker), and a soft storage bag/pouch. Charging and audio cable is typically something you will find with many other wireless speakers, but not too many others offer a storage bag. Obviously, a pouch not going to protect your speaker from a high drop, but it could cushion it and provide some level of protection. Plus, if you leave fingerprints on the plastic surface of the speaker – a soft material of the pouch could be used to wipe them down.

Accessories.

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-04_zpsmmdosk6g.jpg

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-05_zpszqtbbrqx.jpg

Out of the box, you will find a relatively compact brick shaped speaker with a dimensions of about 6.4” x 2.6” x 2.6” and weighting aproximately280g. The speaker has a sturdy plastic enclosure with a metal grill on the front covering the drivers and on one side covering the bass port. On the top you have 2 recessed large volume -/+ buttons to decrease/increase the volume level, and the area for NFC pairing. Opposite of the bass port on the other side you will find a multi-function Power/Pair-up/Play-Pause button which also has a blue led backlight to indicate when power is on. The back has charging led indicator, micro-usb charging port, and AUX 3.5mm audio input port. It’s a very simple design with a clear layout of large easy to use controls. The bottom has a non-slip rubbery pad for secure placement on any surface.

Design.

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-06_zpsdaydvkvc.jpg

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-07_zpsumn2qboz.jpg

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-08_zpsbxtetj7j.jpg

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-09_zps1nzfy0h3.jpg

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-10_zpssihilmpc.jpg

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-11b_zpsyjfpxoes.jpg

Considering its slightly higher than expected pricing, yeah – Anker spoiled us with premium products at discounted prices, I was curious to explorer its spec and performance to figure out the value of this BT wireless speaker. First of all, it comes with a large 6200 mAh battery (that explains the weight) which can support almost 24 hours of playback at 60% volume setting or 18hr playback at a more realistic 70% volume setting. It sure is impressive for a small compact speaker that isn’t longer than my Note 4.

Inside, it has a dual 5W drivers and a dedicated bass port. Obviously, it could function both wired and wireless. Wireless pair up with a phone was seamless and I tested it to work 60’ away (!!!) from my phone in open space. That’s very impressive for a supported wireless distance. One important thing to keep in mind – it ONLY pairs up with a phone Media, not with a phone to work as a speakerphone. In my own personal experience with at a least a dozen of BT wireless speakers I have tested, I never ever used any of them as a speakerphone. Thus, I found a lack of speakerphone support is not a big deal. The only comment I have here, during pair up speaker produces a loud and a bit annoying beep, which I wish would have been a little quieter.

Pair up and performance with a phone.

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-12_zpspyk06l36.jpg

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-13_zpsib3jnf2b.jpg

anker_a7909_bt-speaker-14_zpsirmmk8rv.jpg

Of course, the most important aspect of this review is to find out how it sounds.

Thanks to its 5W speakers, Anker A7909 BT wireless speaker can get very loud and at the max speaker and phone volume level – I sensed NO distortion what so ever. Obviously you have to be realistic that small drivers can produce a loud sound but it’s not a powerful room filling type of sound. The sound is very clean and accurate, not too boomy or too thin, but the further you step away the less bass you hear. Basically, this is not a type of speaker to entertain a big outdoor party or to fill in a big hall with a loud sound, it's intended for a smaller room listening where louder sound will fill in the room and where you will be able to enjoy better low end (bass) response.

Conclusion.

Anker usually doesn't disappoint with their new releases, and this new BT wireless speaker is no exception. It is not necessary the top performer or the best value in "small portable" speaker category, but it definitely offers some unique features to be very competitive. Battery life which can go up to 24hr is a big bonus. 5W dual speaker is loud and clean, and most important you can raise the volume all the way to the max without clipping or distortion. And unlike so many other portable speakers with only Volume control, I like the integrated Play/Pause which is SO important. The whole purpose of wireless speaker is to be away from the phone, and some manufacturers forget about it, making you go back to the phone to pause the song. I'm glad Anker implemented this feature. Backed up by their 18-month warranty, this is definitely a good product. Priced at $69.99, I think it's a bit steep and it would be more realistic to have it priced closer to $50, but if you are looking for all the features offered by this wireless speaker - it worth the price.

Reactions: levjaskulski

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones