• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root apps not working

I'm going to guess your SU binary is broken/missing. You can have root but without that it won't do anything. Those apps check for that and use it to gain access.

A good way to test this is to install a terminal emulator APK/from Play Store and type 'su' and hit enter. If you get a # it's good but if you get "permission denied" the su binary is missing.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Can you be more specific? Which root apps are not working? What happens you launch the app's? Error message? If so what did it say? Nothing happens?

What root checker app did you use? How does it say you are rooted? Did you use magisk to gain root access?

Battery charge limit app is not working emoji changer app also. I launch the apps they've been granted superuser access and still nothing I've rebooted but didn't help either. Yes I used magisk to gain root access Screenshot_2022-11-24-16-40-14-05_5be4037ab7fa29495af4d1ead04ed00c.jpg Screenshot_2022-11-24-16-40-08-33_3822ac0e29cfec8970059bb21d01f05e.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm going to guess your SU binary is broken/missing. You can have root but without that it won't do anything. Those apps check for that and use it to gain access.

A good way to test this is to install a terminal emulator APK/from Play Store and type 'su' and hit enter. If you get a # it's good but if you get "permission denied" the su binary is missing.
I just tried what you suggested and I got a hashtag any idea what else it could be?

Upvote 0
I thought that battery charge limitation was a standard Android 12 feature, and that phone should have Android 12. So why do you need that app?

As for what's wrong, I don't know. If your terminal emulator accepts the su command without complaint then it suggests that the shell at least is able to get root access. Which suggests that the problem is with those apps. Just to be completely clear, you have explicitly granted root access to those particular apps, not just checked root access in general? Have you done other checks, such as trying to browse through system directories using a root-capable file manager (at some point that would have to ask for access), or maybe tried Titanium Backup (which I notice has not been updated for a few years, which is a serious sign of how few people root these days)? If some apps on your phone can access root I'm wondering how widespread the problem is, or whether it's just these apps in particular that don't work?

Upvote 0
I just got my OnePlus Nord CE 2 Lite 5g rooted recently and the root checking apps say it's all good and it's rooted but when I try to use root only apps they don't work... Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

That is really odd the root checkers indicate all is good but something is obviously not working out. Try reinstalling Magisk again, pay a lot of attention to any error messages with both the Magisk app and the Magisk Manager app. And when that's done be sure to go into the Magisk Manager app's settings menu.

Upvote 0
I thought that battery charge limitation was a standard Android 12 feature, and that phone should have Android 12. So why do you need that app?

As for what's wrong, I don't know. If your terminal emulator accepts the su command without complaint then it suggests that the shell at least is able to get root access. Which suggests that the problem is with those apps. Just to be completely clear, you have explicitly granted root access to those particular apps, not just checked root access in general? Have you done other checks, such as trying to browse through system directories using a root-capable file manager (at some point that would have to ask for access), or maybe tried Titanium Backup (which I notice has not been updated for a few years, which is a serious sign of how few people root these days)? If some apps on your phone can access root I'm wondering how widespread the problem is, or whether it's just these apps in particular that don't work?
Yes I've granted the apps rights, you mean superuser access right?
What is titanium backup?
How do I do the other check with a file manager?

Upvote 0
That is really odd the root checkers indicate all is good but something is obviously not working out. Try reinstalling Magisk again, pay a lot of attention to any error messages with both the Magisk app and the Magisk Manager app. And when that's done be sure to go into the Magisk Manager app's settings menu.
How do I do this? The app is hidden currently...
If I delete the app and re install it does it affect the phone being rooted?

Upvote 0
Hidden? That and your previous postings indicate it's more likely you're Nord is still in its default, unrooted state. Too many things just don't add up. But whatever. Uninstalling and then properly re-Installing Magisk/Magisk Manager will hopefully work out better. Try reading through this XDA tutorial, completely and to the end a couple of times, adapt its content to apply to your Nord CE, and try again.
https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-magisk/

Reactions: Hadron and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Yes I've granted the apps rights, you mean superuser access right?
What is titanium backup?
How do I do the other check with a file manager?
Titanium Backup is a backup app that requires root so that it can back up data from less accessible parts of the storage. You can find it on the Play Store or via xda-developers.

To test with a file manager you need a file manager that can browse system directories if given root access (so not the built-in one). Something like Root Explorer, X-Plore or Solid Explorer. Then just try to browse something that needs root to access it: in Solid Explorer going to Root then browsing sys or storage would be a test, in Root Explorer going to root (/) and trying to browse data should do it, while X-Plore will tell you if you try to browse Root rather than "system shared storage" (the user-accessible stuff).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Titanium Backup is a backup app that requires root so that it can back up data from less accessible parts of the storage. You can find it on the Play Store or via xda-developers.

To test with a file manager you need a file manager that can browse system directories if given root access (so not the built-in one). Something like Root Explorer, X-Plore or Solid Explorer. Then just try to browse something that needs root to access it: in Solid Explorer going to Root then browsing sys or storage would be a test, in Root Explorer going to root (/) and trying to browse data should do it, while X-Plore will tell you if you try to browse Root rather than "system shared storage" (the user-accessible stuff).
So I just modified a settings file of whatsapp that I shouldn't have permission to modify through termux which means that I do have root, so I don't know what else to try at this point if I have root why aren't any of the root apps working

Upvote 0
The WhatsApp app is a third-party, user installed app, it is not a pre-installed app with restricted system-level permissions. So you have full access to all user-level apps no matter if your phone is rooted or it isn't.
Simply because you can edit a file using a terminal app doesn't mean your phone is actually rooted, all it means is you're learning how much more extensive a command-line interface can be. Or in other words, editing a file with user-level permissions does not require your device to be rooted while editing a file with system-level permissions can only be done with your device is rooted.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones