• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Android 5.0: Considerations

scary alien

not really so scary
Mar 5, 2010
Indy
As I mentioned in this thread: http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/876518-rooting-android-5-0-l-ollipop.html, since the Nexus 6 will come with Android 5.0 (Lollipop) installed, you need to be aware of some additional considerations for rooting your new device:

• If you plan to root your device, you should probably unlock your bootloader after you've booted your device for the first time since the unlocking process will wipe your device (trying to save you some time & effort).

• You'll likely need to flash a modified kernel (boot.img) that has the SELinux context for the install_recovery.sh script in the init.rc file of the ramdisk "relaxed" to still run under the init context. This is a linchpin for Chainfire's SuperSU/su to work on 5.0. [a modded boot.img will likely be readily available soon or fairly easily made from a stock factory image boot.img file].

• You'll need to download and flash (via a custom recovery) the latest SuperSU package from Chainfire's SuperSU Download site (it'll be named something like UPDATE-SuperSU-v#.##.zip file). Flash it via your favorite custom recovery (TWRP, CWM, etc.).

• Note: you don't have to actually flash a custom recovery to run it: you can softboot it via fastboot boot <recovery.img file> This means that you can keep your current stock recovery installed if you just want to temporarily use the custom recovery.

• Be aware that Chainfire warns that the retail release of Android 5.0 may still include some surprises that could affect the ability to root (or at least right away); follow Chainfire on Google+ for more information.

• It's possible that not all of your root apps will work (or at least right away) after rooting on Android 5.0. I can tell you that the changes needed to support the new SELinux enforcement policies were a bit confusing at first and required a complete re-test of all of the functions of one of my apps. Kudos to Chainfire and others for providing information on what changes might be needed. We'll all just need to be patient as the devs update their apps and see what the official 5.0 release brings us.

That's all I got for now...cheers!

:)

Are you running the latest (LPX13D) preview version?

Once I had the "aha!" moment(s) :)p) for the changes I needed to make in my app (Root Toolkit for Android), I've had few issues with the functionality and testing.

But I'm guessing that TiBu might have more complex root logic than the functions that my app perform...:dontknow: (although, LOL, they have a team of folks and I just have me ;)).

Yeah, Chainfire and others are espousing "vote with your wallet"--i.e., buy devices with unlockable bootloaders.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Are you running the latest (LPX13D) preview version?

Once I had the "aha!" moment(s) :)p) for the changes I needed to make in my app (Root Toolkit for Android), I've had few issues with the functionality and testing.

But I'm guessing that TiBu might have more complex root logic than the functions that my app perform...:dontknow: (although, LOL, they have a team of folks and I just have me ;)).

Yeah, Chainfire and others are espousing "vote with your wallet"--i.e., buy devices with unlockable bootloaders.
Yes, the latest version.

I know suggesting devices with unlockable bootloaders is nice, but I also realize that's simply not an option for some people - whether that be due to their carrier locking phones down, or simply not knowing the new nuances before deciding and purchasing a device. I hope there's a better alternative, but as android security increases rooting a device from a manufacturer that doesnt want you to have those elevated abilities is getting harder and harder.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I've always rooted my devices till now, but the Android OS is now getting close to the point where root may not be needed for my usage scenario

With the N6, since the kernel needs to be modified as well, I'm now wondering whether to even root or not.

For me, the must-have benefits to root are ad-blocking (adaway) and permissions management (XPrivacy on XPosed).
Rumor has it that Lollipop is going to bring some level of permissions management in the final release, and if it is good enough, the only thing left is ad-blocking.

ABP may do the trick via the proxy (I use that on my unrooted N7 today - and it blocks most ads - not all though).

Still debating though - I may just unlock the bootloader when I get the phone and figure out whether to root or not after trying it out without root initially :)

Upvote 0
Quick update: Chainfire has got a beta version of root that should not require modifying and flashing your device's boot.img in order for you to have root on Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or version with SELinux set to enforcing mode.

He's still having folks do beta testing on it and bugs/issues are being worked out, but I'm pretty confident Chainfire will have things smoothed out for devices that even / still have locked bootloaders.

Cheers!

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones