• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING For Dummies Guide.....the Gingerbread Edition

Could someone please help me with unrooting? I've gotten S-ON back, but when I try to load PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.zip from the bootloader it doesn't take. It sees the file (named PC36IMG.zip), takes a few minutes to load it, then just returns to the bootloader menu. I never a prompt asking me if I want to apply the update. Please help!

Upvote 0
Could someone please help me with unrooting? I've gotten S-ON back, but when I try to load PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.zip from the bootloader it doesn't take. It sees the file (named PC36IMG.zip), takes a few minutes to load it, then just returns to the bootloader menu. I never a prompt asking me if I want to apply the update. Please help!
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!
what is your hboot and baseband(radio)?

Upvote 0
I am trying to root my EVO 4G (Android 2.3.5 / Hboot 6.16 / Radio 2.15.00.12.19 ) followed every step and got through #3
1.go here revolutionary and download the revoltionary file and extract it somewhere on your desktop.
2.connect your phone to the pc and select charge only.
3.run the executable revolutionary file. it is the only file that is named revolutionary.
It never detected my phone.
4.it will detect your phone's specific serial number.
I got the serial number from the back of the phone and have the key, but never got to the point of entering it. All I got was "Waiting for Device...."
use that to generate the beta key on the revolutionary website.
5.enter the beta key in the revolutionary dos window on your computer. people have been reporting that the key is invalid. if this happens, the icon on the upper left of the DOS command window is a drop-down button that will let you get to the edit option that allows you to copy/paste between DOS and a window. so just copy and paste the key in.
My bootloader screen now says "Revolutionary" at the top andd S-off. Recovery only give me the red triangle!
next we need to go and verify that you have s-off and if you have recovery
8.select bootloader by using the up and down vol. buttons and using the power button to make a selection.
9.on the hboot screen at the top it should say s-off, if it does then congrats!
What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

Upvote 0
I am trying to root my EVO 4G (Hboot 6.16 / Radio 2.15 ) followed every step and got through #3

It never detected my phone.
I got the serial number from the back of the phone and have the key, but never got to the point of entering it. All I got was "Waiting for Device...."

My bootloader screen now says "Revolutionary" at the top andd S-off. Recovery only give me the red triangle!

well you are partially rooted being that you have s-off. now all you need is recovery. sometime revolutionary fails to install clockwork mod recovery. just skip down to the switching recoveries section of the guide (in the after root section) for instructions. this will give you a better recovery in amon ra 2.3 rather then clockwork mod. cwm just does not wipe well and has been known to cause more issues then it is worth.

if you need help with recovery, please feel free to ask questions.

Upvote 0
No matter what I do recovery gives me the red symbol. I tried loading Amon Ra per directions but I don't get selections to choose from when selecting Recovery

are you sure that you are naming it right? you need to make sure that you are not adding an extra .zip to the name.

also what size card do you have? the og evo has issues with 2g cards. if you have one then try a different card. if you do not then try and reformat the card thru the phone (settings>sd card>format card).

edit: and by the way.......welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Yes I made sure I followed the directions closely. I have an 8g card, original to the phone. I tried to unlock the bootloader as well using the HTCdev method. I got to step 8 and I get "<bootloader> [ERR] Command error !!!" when I enter "fastboot oem get_identifier_token"

no need to re-run it......it worked. it just did not flash clockwork mod recovery. your hboot is 6.16 and you should have s-off. now all you need is a recovery and flash either the su file or flash a rom. use the instructions found in the guide for switching recoveries.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I get through step 4 and step 5 doesn't happen.

I also loaded Titanium backup and it says that I am not rooted

again are you naming the file correctly? it needs to be exactly PC36IMG. do not add an extra .zip to the name as windows by default hides extensions.
PC36IMG and it needs to be on the root of the sd card (not in any folder, just on the card). if you do those two things right then the bootoader should see it.

Upvote 0
yes here is a screenshot of my card.
HTC%20files.jpg

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
hmmmm...It appears to be renamed fine and also it appears to be on the sd card correctly....
Does the bootloader give you a message that it is "not found"?
Wondering if the adb method of a recovery install is now in order?

Edit: was on phone at the time...sorry....it looked correct on Tapatalk but not from the computer...:(

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
ok here is my screen shot of what the file should look like:
myscreenshot2.png

if you look none of my .zip file are showing the extensions on my pc that is how i have set it. so pay attention to how your computer is set up. if on your pc, the files are showing extensions then that is how you need to name the amon ra file.

also notice that the .zip file is zipped like the others.....that is how your amon ra file needs to be as well.

Upvote 0
That is where the confusion is. As I read the instructions, it says to rename the file without the .zip extention and that is not the case. I added the .zip back to the file and it is working fine.
Hopefully that should resolve all my issues - With the phone anyways.
Thank You for all your help.

well it does say that windows hides extensions but i will edit it when i get a chance so that it is less confusing.

now go and get your flash on:D

Upvote 0
yeah the next step is to flash the su file or flash a rom like mikey is suggesting. you nees the superuser file flashed. this is what gives permission to root apps like tb. without it tb will get denied. as long as you have s-off with recovery all is good. i would suggest that you flash a rom. try out mikg3.11. it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better then stock and has everything working. it is very stock looking as well. give it a go. just head on down the guide to the flashing rom section for instructions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones