• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting my Samsung 23 Ultra???

Rooting a new phone shouldn't be difficult and I did root my Pixel 3XL years ago. I found this guide, How to Root Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra via Magisk [New Method], and it makes sense. However, my issue is with Step 1 - unlocking the bootloader. I followed the instructions shown, but 'OEM unlocking' was not visible. I did some more looking and found this guide How to fix the missing OEM unlock in developer options on Samsung devices - KrispiTech, tried Method 2, and that didn't work.

What on earth should I try now?

ocnbrze - You might be right. The model number on my phone is SM-S918U1. Since the model number does not match exactly, does that mean that this phone cannot be rooted?
Yep that's correct. Until they can crack a locked snapdragon bootloader, you are gonna have to wait. Having a device from Samsung with a Snapdragon processor and a locked bootloader has been proven in the past to be almost not rootable.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Since the model number does not match exactly, does that mean that this phone cannot be rooted?
Correct. Ever since the S7, North American Samsung devices have not been bootloader-unlockable by the user (with maybe 2 or 3 exceptions, from the budget A series). Most can be done via paid 3rd party services, but only if they're running firmware from February 2021 or before

Upvote 0
This page, How To Unlock Bootloader on Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra?, suggests some methods that are quite different from the more basic approaches and they may work. Any comments?
There are tons of garbage sites like that, all over the internet. They just copy and paste the exact same thing for each new model that comes out, all for clickbait/views for ad revenue.

That process will NOT work for any North American model at minimum, and possibly other models, depending on the situation

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Okay, the Samsung S23 Ultra cannot be rooted. (What sort of effing morons at Samsung decided to block this activity???) I have the following apps installed on my currently rooted Pixel 3XL: AdAway, Nova Settings, and App Opps, and cannot imagine using a phone without them. I also have installed Magisk and Shizuku which do stuff in the background and disabled Chrome.

Since the S23 Ultra cannot be rooted, can these apps be installed?

Upvote 0
Okay, the Samsung S23 Ultra cannot be rooted. (What sort of effing morons at Samsung decided to block this activity???) I have the following apps installed on my currently rooted Pixel 3XL: AdAway, Nova Settings, and App Opps, and cannot imagine using a phone without them. I also have installed Magisk and Shizuku which do stuff in the background and disabled Chrome.

1. Blocking OEM unlock isn't up to Samsung. It's mandated by the wireless carriers

2. Yes, any app can be installed, via apk if not via the Play Store. Now, whether that app has any non-root functionality is another question
I just went to Settings->Apps and disabled a few. However, there are a bunch of crap apps that I could neither disable or uninstall. Is there some way to do this? For example, Device Care could not be disabled.
Yes, there are other ways to disable system apps

Upvote 0

I do believe the "effing morons" are actually the US wireless carriers, insisting that phones sold there have locked boot-loaders.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that many apps, including banking and other financial apps, will NOT run on rooted devices. I gave up rooting when the benefits were outweighed by the disadvantages: and Android had matured enough that most of the functions I used to add by rooting became part of the stock operating system. If an app you want/need to run is not in the Play Store, try other legitimate sources like APK Mirror and sideload the app. In doing so, it's up to you to keep it updated.

Upvote 0
It's very easy to root it all by yourself without having to rely on some dubious pre-patched files from the dark web. Here is a DIY tutorial just for you ;)
The only problem is that the Magisk-v25.2 doesn't fully support these new devices yet... It kind of works though. Enjoy! :D(y)

I just went to Settings->Apps and disabled a few. However, there are a bunch of crap apps that I could neither disable or uninstall. Is there some way to do this? For example, Device Care could not be disabled.
Not yet. I haven't ported my ultimate DIY Custom ROM Maker app to this brand new Samsung device yet. It's only a matter of time now that I finally got my hands on it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones