• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S23 FE 3X telephoto lens output quality?

This phone uses 8 MP, 1/4.4", 1.0µm, telephoto lens which is the weakest point in its camera system. 8MP means that both 12MP photos & 4k videos at are upscaled in daytime.
At night 3X zoomed videos are simply a crop from the main sensor.

What do you think of the output quality of 3x videos from this phone (day and night)? Does it capture enough details for you liking? Is the dynamic range good enough etc?

What do you do with the videos? If you only play them on the phone, then the phone screen has approximately 2k resolution and hence 4k will be downscaled in order to play it. And if you upload to social media for others to watch on their phones the same will be true (and probably the social media platform will either downscale or further compress the video when you upload it). What I'm saying is that whether the limited resolution is important depends on what you do with the videos: if you watch them on a 4k or 8k screen it might make a difference, if you don't then it may well not matter.

That is not to say that you don't have to worry about the quality, I'm just saying don't get hung up on the resolution, which in any event is not the most important factor in image quality.

I can't answer the question about the quality of videos because (a) I don't own this phone, and (b) I don't know what you consider good enough. But you can find reviews that include video samples, e.g. Samsung Galaxy S23 FE review, which you can compare to other cameras.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones