• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S5 Screen dead - query

My son's Samsung S5 is showing a dead screen, and I can see a hairline fracture so it's highly possible that the LCD is damaged. The back key and the recent items keys both light up and sound is there. I have tried to hook it up to my TV so I can still see the screen but it's not showing (tried it with my own S5 and it is)

Is this normal for a damaged screen or should I still be able to see screen on my TV? Son doesn't want to go to expense of getting screen repaired if it urns out something else is damaged

TIA

Go to the Google Play Store on your pc under his username.

download Side Sync, and install that to the phone.
the data or WiFi must already be enabled for this to work...

then install the PC version of SideSync...
once all that is done, you can do anything with the phone from the PC, even make a call if you click on speaker or use the Bluetooth feature.

this will allow to backup, download, or otherwise retreive stuff you don't want lost.
then get a screen replacement w/o being worried the phone will loose any data/apps.

If he don't want to repair it, at least you can use Kies 3.0 to save the phone's apps, profiles, etc, and put them on another phone.' with Smart Switch
* Smart Switch by Samsung

* SideSync 3.0 - Android Apps on Google Play

Upvote 0
hmmm, there is one other app that you might try out to verify that WiFi or DATA is NOT working.

goto Play Store and try to have it install MyPhoneExplorer which lets you access a broken phone while locked

there is a Desktop PC Version to that also. If you start up the desktop PC version, and connect the USB cable, you will be able to download quite a few things off the phone even with the screen locked.

MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen UnLock, turns WiFi ON
PureVPN when using a public WiFi

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones