• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Safe, Secure way to forward sms to email?

recDNA

Android Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2010
I have several wifi only phones and one verizon data enabled note 3. Is there a safe, secure way to forward sms to personal hotmail or gmail account? I know it is possible. On outlook express but do not want personal texts going to work email. I do not wish to use google phone because assigned phone number is different than mine. There are some apps on the playstore that claim to do it but appear suspicious. (very few downloads, all rated 5 stars like developer wrote his own reviews). Suggestions? Thanks!

I have several wifi only phones and one verizon data enabled note 3. Is there a safe, secure way to forward sms to personal hotmail or gmail account? I know it is possible. On outlook express but do not want personal texts going to work email. I do not wish to use google phone because assigned phone number is different than mine. There are some apps on the playstore that claim to do it but appear suspicious. (very few downloads, all rated 5 stars like developer wrote his own reviews). Suggestions? Thanks!

If you weren't able to get MyBackupPro (paid version) for free (when the Play store and Amazon App store had the special), I'd also highly recommend this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

And the add-on allows upload to Google Drive or Dropbox
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestoreNetworkAddon&hl=en

Upvote 0
You understand I want sync of individual sms immediately to an email addy rather than backing up old sms right? I have my backup pro so I can backup old sms but I don't care about that. Since my wifi only phones do get email and do not get sms I want sms to my note 3 to be forwarded to email so i can see it on all my phones.

Upvote 0
You understand I want sync of individual sms immediately to an email addy rather than backing up old sms right? I have my backup pro so I can backup old sms but I don't care about that. Since my wifi only phones do get email and do not get sms I want sms to my note 3 to be forwarded to email so i can see it on all my phones.

Ohhhh...my bad. Misunderstood. Hmmm, that's one that I hadn't thought of.

Best I could say is try Tablet SMS. I use it to see text messages on my tablet. Maybe it'll work from phone-to-phone, if you can get the Tablet portion of the app on the phones?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.tabletsms

It works pretty perfectly for me, while I'm at home and don't want to keep my phone with me.

Upvote 0
I quite often copy/paste SMS text to an email to forward it? The reverse works too.

problem being my data phone is downstairs. i am upstairs. friends headed to beach send me sms. i am upstairs and miss sms. see? I have all my old phones connected to my wifi network to read email etc but I miss time critical sms sometimes. it is possible to sync sms on a sammy phone to work type outlook email. strangely no way to sync to personal email. for a while I synced sms to my work email. i never missed an sms but sometimes (often) the subject matter of a friends sms is entirely inappropriate for work email

Upvote 0
problem being my data phone is downstairs. i am upstairs. friends headed to beach send me sms. i am upstairs and miss sms. see? I have all my old phones connected to my wifi network to read email etc but I miss time critical sms sometimes. it is possible to sync sms on a sammy phone to work type outlook email. strangely no way to sync to personal email. for a while I synced sms to my work email. i never missed an sms but sometimes (often) the subject matter of a friends sms is entirely inappropriate for work email

Check the apps I posted. It was developed by koush, and that definitely would work, if the tablet portion of the app could be loaded on your wifi phones.

Upvote 0
sometimes (often) the subject matter of a friends sms is entirely inappropriate for work email

newlaughing_zps95a2ebe3.gif

Upvote 0
Ohhhh...my bad. Misunderstood. Hmmm, that's one that I hadn't thought of.

Best I could say is try Tablet SMS. I use it to see text messages on my tablet. Maybe it'll work from phone-to-phone, if you can get the Tablet portion of the app on the phones?

It works pretty perfectly for me, while I'm at home and don't want to keep my phone with me.

Are you on an aosp rom? Im not. Anyway reviews scary.
u7yzuhu4.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks, I did see that app and a few others. It very well may do exactly what I want. My concern is the developer is overseas, has few downloads, and few reviews. I found several apps that ALL had that in common. That's why I mentioned security. I'm nervous about giving them my phone number and email addy potentially setting myself up for spam, junk calls, or worse.

I appreciate your attempt to help. The app by Koush mentioned earlier sounds a little safer since clockworkmod is a very popular app but has some bad reviews and costs money. A reviewer claimed they are no longer supporting the app. I was hoping there was an option in hotmail like in outlook to sync sms with email but cannot find the option in samsung email set up with hotmail.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I did see that app and a few others. It very well may do exactly what I want. My concern is the developer is overseas, has few downloads, and few reviews. I found several apps that ALL had that in common. That's why I mentioned security. I'm nervous about giving them my phone number and email addy potentially setting myself up for spam, junk calls, or worse.

I appreciate your attempt to help. The app by Koush mentioned earlier sounds a little safer since clockworkmod is a very popular app but has some bad reviews and costs money. A reviewer claimed they are no longer supporting the app. I was hoping there was an option in hotmail like in outlook to sync sms with email but cannot find the option in samsung email set up with hotmail.

I trust koush over random reviewers. He is also responsible for allcast, which is awesome for dlna devices and chromecast. I use it every day and works amazingly well. Worth the purchase. It even has a chrome extension that you can add to pc/mac chrome browser.

Upvote 0

Typically if the application is on Google they have checked into things like this. Granted sometimes things slip through, but Google is usually pretty good about this.

Upvote 0
Typically if the application is on Google they have checked into things like this. Granted sometimes things slip through, but Google is usually pretty good about this.

I did have a problem with an app on the playstore that spammed my sms line and I only get 500 a month so it was a big problem. I think they depend on end users' complaints to police developers. You think they have people to check all that code?

Upvote 0
I did have a problem with an app on the playstore that spammed my sms line and I only get 500 a month so it was a big problem. I think they depend on end users' complaints to police developers. You think they have people to check all that code?

Like Apple, Google has a system that the apps run through to try and catch malicious code and such.

Upvote 0
You have to give them your phone number to forward to email. What is to prevent selling that number to spam callers and texters?

There seem to be two current methods of spamming via voice and texts in Europe - usually done from outside the EU. There is EU law against voice spam to phones.

One is sequential auto diallers from outside the EU so they eventually reach you anyway.

The other is the various national 'do not call' lists maintained by EU sourced law in each country. Unfortunately the law was written before texts were being used much for spam and didn't cover texts. So the spammers are spam texting people using the national 'do not call' lists as a source of numbers to text spam.

I changed my number for the first time since my first mobile phone just to try and 'dump' spam calls. It was OK for a year but the auto dialler robot calls eventually caught up with me. Not funny as my phone currently is on auto-answer.

More legislation is on the way to cover spam texts but I don't think it is going to work against those originating from outside the EU.

All I can think that might work is a text white-list app.

Upvote 0
You have to give them your phone number to forward to email. What is to prevent selling that number to spam callers and texters?

I have never had issues with spam calls/texts. Even if I did I doubt it would be Google's doing.

With millions and potentially billions of customers, if they sold that information people would eventually find out, just by the sheer number of people effected.

Upvote 0
I have never had issues with spam calls/texts. Even if I did I doubt it would be Google's doing.

I did.

With millions and potentially billions of customers, if they sold that information people would eventually find out, just by the sheer number of people effected.

I know which app did it because the sms advertised their own products and it was from google playstore. Whether they sold to other spammers? Why not, even they spammed me. I just prefer American developers now or very well known developers with 1000s of downloads. Koush's app has terrible reviews, not just One bad one so despite his good rep I am ruling that one out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones