• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung A51 MetroPCS painfully slow after forced update yesterday.

AppleUser

Android Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2011
My A51 Samsung was always smooth and fast until Metro forced a software update 3/4/23; CURRENT VERSION. A516USQUAFWA3. Security patch 12/1/22.

Internet is slow. Device care optimized "Great!". Have restarted. 50% storage free. Diagnostics hang---- won't run. No further updates available.

How to correct this? Get a newer phone?

My A51 Samsung was always smooth and fast until Metro forced a software update 3/4/23; CURRENT VERSION. A516USQUAFWA3. Security patch 12/1/22.

Internet is slow. Device care optimized "Great!". Have restarted. 50% storage free. Diagnostics hang---- won't run. No further updates available.

How to correct this? Get a newer phone?
Have you rebooted the phone?

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
You said you restarted meaning rebooted correct? Then the only other thing I can think of is a factory reset
oooops i guess i can't read.......lol

yes a factory reset should help.

also you can try and re-flash the firmware. this should not delete data, but a factory reset will.

i would get it from here: Download firmware updates for your Samsung mobile phone and tablet instructions on how to flash will be on the download page. just make sure that the firmware you install is exactly for your device. they are very device specific. flashing the wrong firmware could ruin the phone.

Upvote 0
Sounds scary. How about running Malwarebytes and AVG first ?

The C port on the A51 is flaky, and I'd like induction/wireless charging. Which new Samsung is recommended which is about the same size as the A51 and hs wireless charging?
never used an anti-virus app, but it can;t hurt to run them. its not scary. it just involves downloading odin to your pc and hooking up your phone to it. so it is much more involved. but it can save your data vs just doing a factory reset.

here is a list on gsmarena: Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

Upvote 0
Thank you. Ran Malwarebytes and Free AVG. Nothing bad found. Did another restart and deleted those two apps and the A51 phone is better now. Unknown why.

• Is there a safe way to clean the female C port on the A51?

My A52 has been fine. If one can do without wireless charging of the S21FE, I can get a 2nd A52 at no charge and upgrade the A51 to A52. A 52 has been a solid performer, and the $420 A53 is said to be not much better.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I doubt messing with the cable will fix anything. It's more likely the female connector has seen stress or wear causing it to to make a loose connection. If a different or new cable acts the same, perhaps a fix it store can replace the c port connector for you.

I would try the compressed air. Sometimes lint collects in the port and keeps the connection from being sound.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones