• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Screwed up on changing boot animation

Demache

Android Expert
Apr 18, 2010
Sioux Falls, SD
I have the VanillaDroid ROM installed on 2.1 v2. My phone is rooted. But I don't like the boot animation that came with the ROM, so I decided to change it. In every tutorial I've seen, people mention a "bootanimation.zip". However, I can't find it anywhere on the phone. But I did find the "bootscreen" folder in "/system/media/" with the bootup animations in it. I assumed that if I swap out the animations for the new ones, it would work (reasonable enough right?).

Not really. Apparently, I deleted everything in the bootscreen folder, but when I try copying stuff into it from the memory card, it can't find any directory on the memory card through the "adb shell" stuff. I know the folder with the bootscreen animations and stuff exists on the memory card, but apparently the shell commands say it doesn't exist.

So now my phone boots up with no animation or sound. Its nice to have a quiet boot, and it does seem to start up a little faster, but I want a boot screen again. I know if I reflashed the ROM, it would come back (or at least should). But I don't want to have to reset and redownload all my apps and stuff, especially since I have JUST gotten everything the way I want.

Is there anyway to get the bootup animations back without reflashing? And if I would reflash, since its the same ROM, would I need to do a factory reset?

just flash the rom again without wiping and it should put the bootanimation back on and if you don't wipe your apps and settings won't get changed. I know its not recommended to flash without wiping first but I do it now and then without a problem as long as its the same rom. also after you get it back do a nand backup so if you lose it again when trying to change it you can just restore from that.

Reactions: Demache
Upvote 0
just flash the rom again without wiping and it should put the bootanimation back on and if you don't wipe your apps and settings won't get changed. I know its not recommended to flash without wiping first but I do it now and then without a problem as long as its the same rom. also after you get it back do a nand backup so if you lose it again when trying to change it you can just restore from that.
+1

Upvote 0
Eh, I tried it. But the boot screen didn't come back. I'll just have to wipe it then. I just wrote down all the app names and I'll just redownload them. That's the main loss right there, since its the most time consuming. I must have borked it in a way that just a flash wouldn't fix it.

But thanks anyway. A regular wipe fixed it. Now I just have to figure out how to change boot animations PROPERLY.

Upvote 0
There are two bootanimation formats one that uses a zip with pngs and another that uses bootscreen folder with .gif and a .xml script. If you want you to replace the bootanimation, delete the bootscreen folder and replace it with a bootanimation.zip or make your own bootscreen format.
Here a bunch of bootanimations you might like.
Custom Boot Animation Gallery {No root Needed} - xda-developers

Reactions: Demache
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones