• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Smart Watch

freakshow85

Android Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2013
Hey, guys. I'm looking at good priced smart watches on Amazon. Should I get a Samsung Gear Live or Samsung Gear Neo?
They seem to have mostly the same specs.
Is there something else that costs the same you'd recommend overt both? About $120-150 max

I want to cw able to talk into my smart watch. Whether phone Google Now stuff or taking on the phone.

Thanks for your opinions.

Wow, I made a lot of typos that day. I ended up getting the Samsung Gear Live. It was a good price for such a feature packed watch. I really like it. I flashed a new ROM to it so it could receive OTA updates, like the ones you buy in a cell phone store.
For some reason, this came with a kernel that severely limited its capabilities. Now, running 6.0.1, it can do everything. It can even connect to wifi if there isn't a bluetooth connection made, allowing me to browse the Web or use other Web based apps.

It's running a 1.2 ghz quad core with 512 MB RAM, an Adreno 305, and 4 GB of internal storage. It's all more than enough to run anything and everything perfectly smooth all of the time.

I thought I was done with smart watches after my first one years ago. The Sony SmartWatch (1). Terrible picture quality, unbearably slow... I quit using it.
The Gear Live has beautiful picture quality. 271 dpi / 320x320. The crisp display combined with the fast hardware creates a great experience. I actually look forward to wearing and being able to actually use this watch.

Battery life lasts the entire day for me without really going below 20%.

I just thought I'd update.

Upvote 0
How about another update? If this is frowned upon, just let me know. I'll make it my final update. It may be so, anyways, because...

About a month ago, I left my watch on the charger overnight, as I had always done. I didn't wear the watch daily, and I couldn't really say how many hours I'd used it, but it was still "like new", to me.

Yet, one night I put it on the charger and the very next day, it ceased to power on. No indication of anything happening no matter how long the power button (the only button it has) is held.

A bit of reading showed this to be a common problem, and that the watch must be taken apart to disconnect the battery, then put right back together, and that should fix it. I have nothing to lose by doing so, so I plan on trying it. I will post pictures.

This is a huge disappointment. It renders the watch useless for so many people out there. Even if one does fix it, it's the hassle of even having to do so. Oh, or I believe you can pay Samsung $75 or so to do the same repair. No thanks. I'd rather shoot it than deal with paying more money to get what I was already supposed to have.

But, I'm going to fix it because the hardware is nice, and I want the Android OS rather than Tizen. Nothing against Tizen, it's just my personal preference. Hopefully I have an update within 24 hours.

Upvote 0
Hello. So I'm currently wanna get a smartwatch and I wanna get the Samsung gear fit 2 but I heard that the gear fit 2 is really picky and will not compatible/connect to the N6P, is it true? If it is then which smartwatch/smart band should I buy? I'm open to suggestions from you guys. Thank you
why would you want a watch that came out in 2016? the software on it is most likely will not be compatible with your phone. not sure what an N6P is. is that the nexus 6p phone? if so then maybe it might be compatbile as both devices came out around the same time.

i have the gear watch3 and i love it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones