• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sms problem

lagwagon777

Feb 28, 2020
My phone is a Nokia 5.4 running Android 10.

Intermittently, my unread texts do not show up in bold font, when I am in a conversation screen and receive a new text from that person it does not scroll down to show their new text. The notifications are working fine otherwise (dot, banner across top of screen)

There is not commonality on when it happens, it has been totally random. All notifications are set how they were stock. The problems corrects itself when I turn the phone completely off and then back on, but becomes a problem again a short time later so I end the day having turned my phone off and on 10 or more times.

I did a factory reset yesterday, that did not fix the problem. I downloaded other texting apps, that did not fix the problem. Any ideas on what I can do?

The phone has been doing this for about 6 months, it was a brand new phone 9 months ago. When I factory reset the phone, it automatically updated all the apps and the system. I don't know how to uninstall updates if that may help. So yes, it has happened after an update. It does notify me of new messages, yes. The notification light works fine as well as in the notification area at the top of the home screen. But as soon as I open messages to check the new text, none of them are bold so it is a guessing game trying to find the one that is new. Also, the order of all my conversations is not ordered due to time texts are received.

I did put the phone in safe mode, thinking a 3rd party app might be causing the problem, but I do not know how to activate them one by one to eliminate the apps that are not problematic. Could I go into settings-apps-then force stop each one, then restart them one by one? I don't want to fully delete them, I don't know my passwords.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones