• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Software Update = "Service Unavailable"

cody94549

Jun 20, 2017
I just switched Carriers from Verizon to MetroPCS. The guy in the store just swapped in a new SIM card in my Galaxy S6. He didn't seem to make any other modifications in my Network Settings or anything. I manually added a Mobile Network for MetroPCS based on another guy's phone (on MPCS).

Anyway, things seem to be working fine (network, WiFi, Data, phone calls). But I now have a strange problem. When I click on SETTINGS / SOFTWARE UPDATE / CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATE, I get an error = "Service Unavailable. Sorry, we are having trouble authenticating your device. Try again later."

Can anyone explain WHY this is happening? My phone is UNLOCKED - albeit purchased 2 years ago at a Verizon store. (It complains that my new SIM card is not a Verizon Sim card. ugh.)

Thanks in advance.

Are you sure there's nothing still hanging around in you APN settings from VZW? Sound;s like it's trying to get to the Verizon update server.

No, I am not sure... I can't find any online reference as to what the real settings for MetroPCS on this phone should be ... and the guy in the store didn't ADD it, per my previous msg.

Is there a reference someplace HERE that details what my Network APN entry must Look like? Thanks !

Upvote 0
Sure we've had posts about this before. It's very likely that the carrier version firmware is hard-coded to Verizon, so it pings Verizon servers for updates and fails, and protests that it doesn't have a Verizon SIM. And just "unlocking" will not fix this.

well, THAT kinda S****s .. I mean, now I'm stuck at my current Software version. had I known. :)

Upvote 0
Samsung SM-G920V

thanks again.

Samsung's in particular are very hard to track how they get their updates. If our resident Samsung expert @ironass might chime in ;) maybe he can give you a definitive answer. I looked up that model and it was originally shipped with Android 5.1 and upgradable to 6.01, officially. That's probably where it will stop unless you want to mess with custom roms.

In any case, give smart switch a try and see if it will update your phone for you.

Reactions: ironass and kate
Upvote 0
Samsung's in particular are very hard to track how they get their updates. If our resident Samsung expert @ironass might chime in ;) maybe he can give you a definitive answer. I looked up that model and it was originally shipped with Android 5.1 and upgradable to 6.01, officially. That's probably where it will stop unless you want to mess with custom roms.

In any case, give smart switch a try and see if it will update your phone for you.

From what I see, SMART SWITCH is for Transferring "stuff" from an Old phone to a New phone. I did NOT get a new phone. All I did was get a new SIM card. Do you think it will still work for that situation?

Upvote 0
well, THAT kinda S****s .. I mean, now I'm stuck at my current Software version. had I known. :)

It's the price of having a phone that was originally subsidized by the carrier. In theory you should be able to completely release it from anything Verizon provided the contract is fulfilled, but from what I've read in these forums, both Verizon and Sprint version devices can be particularly crippled.

Reactions: ironass and tube517
Upvote 0
It's the price of having a phone that was originally subsidized by the carrier. In theory you should be able to completely release it from anything Verizon provided the contract is fulfilled, but from what I've read in these forums, both Verizon and Sprint version devices can be particularly crippled.

Yea, I GET that conceptually now. Lesson Learned. (I sent a request to Samsung for any assistance they can provide. But unless I can somehow Backup then "Refresh" my S6 & thereby overwrite the Firmware (if that is in fact the problem), I think I'm stuck with this problem until I get a new phone.

Upvote 0
The carrier branded minority variant of Galaxy S6 for Verizon, G900V, is primarily a CDMA model for use on that network, (although it should be, by-and-large, fine on the Metro-PCS, GSM network. See link below.). You will need to be registered on the Verizon network to receive their OTA updates as unlike the regular Samsung models, these are updated by Verizon and not direct from Samsung. There is a Metro-PCS firmware for the Galaxy S6 but it is not compatible with the Verizon model. You could download the latest Verizon firmware, (still only on Marshmallow), see link, below, and flash it using the Odin PC suite.

Here are some useful links...

Model SM-G920V
Model name Galaxy S6
Country USA (Verizon)
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 8352520
Build date Fri, 13 Jan 2017 05:03:23 +0000
Security Patch Level 2017-01-01
Product code VZW
PDA G920VVRS4CQA3
CSC G920VVZW4CQA3

CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference?

Will My Phone Work?

Consider me chimed lunatic59 ("The bells. The bells") ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones