• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SOLVED: On Linux comp, why don't big files appear (but smaller ones do)?

cutedroid

Jan 3, 2013
On my Android, i recorded some videos. One file is 10 MB. The others are about 1.3 GB each. All are in the same folder on the microSD. When I connect the phone to Linux laptop by USB, only the 10 MB file is visible. Why?

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3; CyanogenMod
microSD card formatted as "portable storage".

Linux Mint 18.

Got some help from someone in Android IRC.

here's what my helper said:

adb shell am broadcast -a android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED -d file:///storage/XXXX-XXXX
[remove "adb shell" if in shell already]

echo "alias scanmtp=\"adb shell am broadcast -a android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED -d file:///storage/3D53-180C\"" >> ~/.bash_aliases
["storage/3D53-180C" is the path to my microSD card. this hexadecimal XXXX-XXXX combination is a CyanogenMod thing.]

then whenever you want you can just type "scanmtp" in your terminal to refresh your sdcard's mtp cache

When I asked we have this problem to begin with, my helper said
normally this shouldn't be an issue, sounds like something is wrong with your rom's media server caching

Reactions: Guggy and Bg260
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones