• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint moving ahead with plan to buy T-Mobile according to report

I so hope this is true. I do remember reading that John Legere would most likely be head of the combined companies. And if you can find the links to this, please post it.

It's speculation by the business authors; largely based on Masayoshi Son talking about how Legere has done a great job with T-Mobile and how he admires T-Mobile shaking up the US cell phone market. He as also been highly critical of Sprint's management, including statments comparing Sprint to feudal lords who held absolute power on their lands and little power elsewhere. Though I think the fact that Hesse has mentioned he is looking at leaving combined with Legere stating that he will be part of the merged company, makes them feel comfortable with the way they are reading the signals from Son.

One other thing I've seen recently, is the people claiming that Deutsche Telekom will keep a portion of their stake in T-Mobile (about 25%) also is confirmation of the idea that Legere will run the combined company. I think part of it, as well, is that if Legere heads the merged company, he will be allowed to keep most of his management team at T-Mobile -- both because they can get to work faster, since they have a relationship already, and because of their success at T-Mobile (especially compared to Son's frustration with Sprint management).

You can find other articles that talk about it if you do a Google search, but they largely read like the article I linked. At the end, it is largely "best guesses" by the business press.

Reactions: mak916
Upvote 0
I'm trying to remember where I've seen it all. Here is one of the articles.

Additionally, there are interviews with Hesse where he basically says that he is fine not being part of a merged company and is ready to move on to other opportunities -- he almost sounds (to me) like he has already been told he is out if the merger happens, but can't say that. By contrast, Legere seems to have consistently said in interviews that he will have a role if the merger happens.

Despite the criticism, I have actually liked what Hesse has done. Sprint would've been much worse, had he not taken certain risks. That said, he has also made horrible decisions as well and that interview really does sound telling.

Many T-mobile subscribers seem very opposed to the merger, but if Legere is heading up the company, I really see more benefit than harm. Hopefully, the FCC sees this merger as a more acceptable one than they viewed the ATT merger. As long as service at my house is still great, but the merger also improves my overall experience, I will be happy.

Upvote 0
Just read an interesting article where Legere is quoted about the merger. To me, Legere seems to be stating that, if the merger happens, Sprint would be merged into T-Mobile.

His quote, "The conversations that are taking place now are about T-Mobile's brand, T-Mobile's offer set, the uncarrier movement, and the management team at T-Mobile. There's nobody talking about buying T-Mobile and shutting it down for spectrum. It means that you've got a company and a board and a team looking at its options."

He goes on to say, "I would consider a consolidation opportunity with another player that allows me to use the spectrum that they have and the size and the customer base that I have to grow the business. I have no desire to turn T-Mobile into the son of something else."

That looks like a pretty clear statement about what will happen after the merger. More importantly, Legere tweeted that the author "get an A+ on my quotes!"

Upvote 0
June 6th interview with Masayoshi Son, here are some questions about Sprint and T-Mobile:

You bought a controlling interest in Sprint (S) last year and became chairman. What opportunity did you see there?
The U.S. market is pretty much a duopoly. I always felt that we were coming to the U.S. market after it was already basically game over. The top two duopolists have such a strong brand, strong networks, strong customer bases. [Still] this is the richest market in the world, the center of innovation for the Internet. Mobile service is migrating from voice-centric service to data-centric service. We may have the last opportunity. If we have any chance to build a meaningful competitor, our Internet background may help a little bit on that end. But we need scale.

Yes, so you are rumored to pursuing a merger with T-Mobile (TMUS). How would that help?
I don

Upvote 0
I'm actually surprised that this wasn't brought up here, but a tech blog (TK Tech News) posted yesterday (via youtube) that states the following
1-The deal is final, Softbank has agreed to buy T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom.
2-Prepaid brands will be eliminated. Basically, T-Mobile, Sprint, Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile will no longer exists as they will be combined into one as "Softbank USA".
3-There will no longer be any contracts.
4-Pricing for individuals will be priced at $75 for everything unlimited and
5-Framily will stay thus lowering the price to $45 after 7 or more join that plan.
6-Legere will be the CEO in charge of the newly formed company.
7-Hesse will step down as CEO but be on the board of directors.
8-Major roaming agreement between Japan (Softbank), Europe (Deutsche Telekom) and USA (newly formed Softbank USA)

Now what's funny is that since that youtube video and blog was posted, alot of other media sites posted about it as well, sourcing TK News. The thing is, TK News has been wrong in the past. Now I guess we will find out in the next couple of days whether this plays out as he describes, but in the meantime, I am posting it to see what you guys think.

TS out

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I'm actually surprised that this wasn't brought up here, but a tech blog (TK Tech News) posted yesterday (via youtube) that states the following
2-Prepaid brands will be eliminated. Basically, T-Mobile, Sprint, Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile will no longer exists as they will be combined into one as "Softbank USA".
5-Framily will stay thus lowering the price to $45 after 7 or more join that plan.
8-Major roaming agreement between Japan (Softbank), Europe (Deutsche Telekom) and USA (newly formed Softbank USA)

Now what's funny is that since that youtube video and blog was posted, alot of other media sites posted about it as well, sourcing TK News. The thing is, TK News has been wrong in the past. Now I guess we will find out in the next couple of days whether this plays out as he describes, but in the meantime, I am posting it to see what you guys think.

J0jdNPE5Suw

TS out
on the tmobile and metro side of thing but i think boost and virgin should see it as well

Upvote 0

TS out

Didn't get to check the forum till today. Did softbank really have to keep their name? It's never sounded like a wireless provider to me.

My question now is if this means all US regulatory hurdles have been approved as well, like the FCC. If those haven't cleared, then I won't consider it done.

Upvote 0
I just read this disturbing news that the Sprint/T-mobile merger would scrap Boost/Virgin/Metro.

Also bad news for prepaid customers is that brands like MetroPCS, Virgin Mobile, and Boost Mobile, all prepaid networks under Sprint/T-Mobile, will be scrapped. it should be noted that only the brands would be scrapped, but the prepaid network will remain and rolled into a single structure under the Framily Plan.
More Alleged Sprint/T-Mobile Merge Details Surface | Ubergizmo

Upvote 0
Upvote 0