• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Starting apps in safe mode

old_codger

Jun 3, 2011
WV
Don't know if this is an Alpha-specific problem or Samsung Galaxy in general.

Trying to find out what apps are draining my battery. I can boot into Safe Mode but I can't start over half the apps. When I go to Apps and scroll through, quite a few appear greyed out and are "Not Installed" (e.g., Type Mail, Life Reminders). Leaving Safe Mode allows me to "see" and start those apps. How do I start them in Safe Mode?

Battery drain in Safe Mode 1-2%/hr. FAR better than 12-30%. Tried WPC. No change. Tried GSam. Identified no glaring power-sucking app, although surfing REALLY sucks power.
Now, I want to try Safe Mode and run 2-3 apps at a time. See if I can isolate offending app. Ummm, unless there's a better way.

Upvote 0
That, indeed, is a bummer. Uninstall is the only option? Can't go to Settings>Running and STOP an app? Guess not. My problem is battery use varies from 30%/hr (yes, that's 30%) to 8%. I'll have to uninstall 3 apps for a day to see if one of them is the offender. I see a LOOOONNNGG test if I have to do it that way.
And I still have that pesky wifi data automatic switch widget I can't identify to uninstall.
Yup, ran WCP.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones