• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still worth upgrading my LG G Stylo to Marshmallow?

I run the Virgin Mobile version. Purchased it back in January, 2016 on sale at a Best Buy store.

I know several updates have been applied to the phone this year. Mine is still locked down to 5.1.1 and is rooted. I'm considering upgrading to MM... I know I'll have to drastically reduce the number of apps I use. I'm okay with that.

Most of my usage is the same as it ever has been since I've used Android, beginning in 2011:
-web/
-phone calls/texts
-e-books
-a few simple games
-social media <--- this would suffer a bit, but I'd probably be OK with using a web browser for most things, except for Instagram.
-music and video <--- I do like NextRadio, though.... FM chip is awesome to have! Would suck to lose Spotify and TuneIn radio because of less memory for the apps...

Or should I just save my pennie$ and begin looking for a different phone? The Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) is looking pretty spiffy right now... on sale for $120 over at the VM site. If I wait a bit longer, and buy the J7 after the holidaze, I might be able to grab that.

Thoughts?

I'm still on Katana ROM (Android 5.1.1) on my MetroPCS Stylo. I heard upgrading to Marshmallow causes performance issues. Your Virgin Mobile Stylo, with half the RAM as mine, probably even worse so.

I'd recommend looking for a new device. Not so sure about non-flagship Samsungs, though.

Thanks for replying!

I guess I'll just stick with my VM G Stylo until I find a new phone. I've got mine working as well as I can run it on a stock setup. I went back to using Link2SD as my app linker. I had been using Bonick's Apps2SD for a while, but it was getting erratic for me, plus I no longer needed the extra options it had. Switched back to the other app, when the dev finally upgraded it to work for Lollipop and above.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones