• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Storage permission is required

TechExec001

Lurker
Mar 29, 2021
I used to be able to go to any folder with the My Files app and view images (with the Gallery app) on internal as well as the SD card storage. Yes, I am fully aware I can go directly to the Gallery and view them there.
Recently when going to a folder and trying to view images I get the error message "Storage permission is required".
It's not a big deal but I'm curious as to why this is happening.
I have checked permissions of My Files and Gallery and they both have permissons to access storage.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

The basic file structure in your phone's internal storage is going to be quite involved. Most folders are dedicated solely to the operating system and have system-level restrictions. They need to be that way so the installed Android operating system remains functional. There are folders that are specifically set to be user-accessible, like photo and music storage folders, and most app folders for apps you've installed.
So depending on just what folder(s) you were trying to access, keep in mind that only some of them can be.

Another thing to keep in mind is the My Files app is just a more basic file manager. Samsung includes it on its devices and by-design has limited functionality with a user-friendly, managed user interface. It can do what most people require from a file manager but it you get to the point where your need more extensive access to your phone's storage media, you should look into installing a third-party file manager app. They tend to be a lot of capable and feature-rich with a lot more options.

Upvote 0
Svim, thank you for your response.

Yes, I understand that and I don't want to change anything in the file structure. That is not what I want to do. In fact, the specific folders I am talking about are ones I created. So they should not be restricted (in theory).
I already tried another file manager and that worked. So it's weird that My Files (or Gallery?) is asking for permission to view an image on folders I have created.

Upvote 0
Svim, thank you for your response.

Yes, I understand that and I don't want to change anything in the file structure. That is not what I want to do. In fact, the specific folders I am talking about are ones I created. So they should not be restricted (in theory).
I already tried another file manager and that worked. So it's weird that My Files (or Gallery?) is asking for permission to view an image on folders I have created.

To be honest, My Files is crap.
I didn't piddle with that piece of junk for 30 seconds before I looked for something else.

Ditto for the stock Gallery app.

Once I discovered Simple Mobile Tools, the stock utility apps were outta there.

It's not that I ask too much, but basic funtioning seems to be too much to ask of stock utility apps.

https://www.simplemobiletools.com/

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.simplemobiletools.gallery.pro/

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.simplemobiletools.filemanager.pro/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones