• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Straight Talk Users-what phone do you like?

gale65

Android Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2012
indiana
I think my Nexus 5 is dying. It's hard to get it to charge anymore. So I guess I'm going to be in the market for a new phone. Nexus 6P? 5X? Samsung Galaxy S7? Or the S6? Can the Samsung phones be rooted? I am using android 6 now (rooted) and hate to revert to 5 (which is what the ST branded S6 has).

eta: with my limited research so far, the 6P is going to be way too big for me. So scratch that option.

eta: looks like no wireless charging on the 5X. Weird for google to take that away...

Last edited:
I'm getting closer to having to upgrade. My phone will only charge wirelessly now and that's a bit annoying when I am going to be gone all day and have to bring my wireless charger along to keep in the car. I'm looking at the Moto X now and it looks like a solid phone. Any other phones/opinions?

The S7 is way out of my price range. I want sd support so the 5X is out. Can the Moto X be rooted? I don't want a custom rom but want to be able to use Titanium Backup fully.

Upvote 0
the carrier has no way to determine how you use your data.

is it the phone, or is it a hot spot?
data is data.

The Carrier's Hot Spot app will poll for "permission and see if you are entitled" to use the Hot Spot.
so, don't use their app, or they will know.

Use FoxFi instead. you must get the pro license though, or it will time out every 2 minutes ~

Upvote 0
I'm getting closer to having to upgrade. My phone will only charge wirelessly now and that's a bit annoying when I am going to be gone all day and have to bring my wireless charger along to keep in the car. I'm looking at the Moto X now and it looks like a solid phone. Any other phones/opinions?

The S7 is way out of my price range. I want sd support so the 5X is out. Can the Moto X be rooted? I don't want a custom rom but want to be able to use Titanium Backup fully.

I rooted my XPE a few months after I got it. You have to unlock the bootloader first and that will void your warranty. You have to go through Motorola to get the unlock code. Good idea to wait a while and make sure everything works perfectly first.

Have been hearing great things about the One+3, might be worth checking out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones