• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stupid newbie question - if the battery goes dead for a long time will any data be lost?

Stupid newbie question - if the battery goes dead for a long time will any data be lost?

The reason why I ask, is I'm going away for a little over two weeks. Going to where the phone won't work, so there is no sense carrying it with me. I'd rather not leave it plugged in, and I'm not sure if the battery will stay charged that long.

I'll turn the phone off, so the battery use will be minimal.

I've taken the battery out for a short time to re-boot the phone once when the keyboard froze with no problem. But that was just a few seconds.

So is it safe to leave it uncharged for a few days or a week? Or should I leave it plugged in?

Thanks,
Bob

Devices stopped losing all data when the battery died after the Psion organizer went defunct. nowadays devices, at least from the late '90s onward, have non-volatile storage capable of holding memory even long after the batteries are depleted. Devices from the '80s and earlier had everything in RAM memory, held up only by backup batteries, which would be lost if the batteries lost power. CMOS settings in a PC are a good example of this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones