• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sub-forum descriptions are hilariously out of date

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
Just in the TV/Video section it's both nostalgic as well as funny:

"Android TV, along with the Nexus Player, will inevitably revolutionize television just as iTunes revolutionized music and Android revolutionized smartphones. Find all the Android TV news and info your heart desires from the comfort of your couch with our Android TV forums!"

It's not even called Android TV these days lol. In the automotive forum, apparently, Android Auto just launched.

Upvote 0
Actually it's been called Google TV again for a few years, starting with the new Chromecast with Google TV and the Google TV app itself.

Android TV is still being placed on very outdated leftovers at Walmart (their ONN brand TV streaming sticks) that are also running outdated Android builds (Android 9, sometimes 10). The platform got rebranded Google TV after they started using Android 11 as a base. Confusing since Google TV was the original name back when it was based on 3.0-4.1 in 2010, 2011.

Also, Play Movies and TV no longer exist, it's been placed under the YouTube and Google TV apps now.

Upvote 0
I haven't seen a Sony TV especially the Bravia series since they had the Xcross Media Bar that the PlayStation 3 and some of their blu-ray players also used. Back in like 2008. But there is a Sony Wega rear-projection TV at the vendor mall that apparently survived. Somehow.

All the TVs sold today around here are either LG, Samsung, TCL, Roku TV, or ONN.

I'm a vintage lover like no other, but even I can admit rear projection TVs with their milky picture and constant failures were horrible. Even at the time.

Upvote 0
My parents used to have some early 2000s Pioneer Plasma set and used it until around 2015 when they needed HDMI and 'smart apps'. the Pioneer wasn't full HD yet had a beautiful picture and lasted a long time in an era where many people were led to believe plasma would only last a couple of years before 'burning out'. I wonder why plasma doesn't exist today?

they tried to give me the TV, but the thing weighed upwards of 50 lbs, was quite large for the time and I still lived in camper that wouldn't accept anything larger than 19"

I only remember rear projection big screens being terrible even in the 80s. I knew a few rich neighbors who had those TVs in woodgrain and even C-band satellite behemoths in their backyards, and waiting 20 seconds of hearing relays clacking and other noises as it re-oriented the dish out back to change the channel. Those TVs were only milky if you sat directly in front of 'em, and unviewable at any angle. Great speakers though, could rattle the windows. Those behemoths were reliability nightmares and many were out on the curb by 1990. The one with C-band had the TV fail by suddenly making one bright white flash from the back of the set followed by a loud, window-shattering bassy BOOM from the speakers, followed by smoke. i think one of the three CRTs had imploded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones