• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Swapping out SD cards?

xrae

Mar 17, 2011
I'll be upgrading to a new, larger SD card soon. What's the best way to do that and retain all my downloaded apps, etc? Do I just need to copy card contents to a temp folder on the PC, and then paste those onto the new card once that's installed?

I'm doing the same thing (moving from an 8GB to a 16GB card) but am having problems. Straight-up copying doesn't seem to work. After I copy to the new card and put the new card in the phone, several apps do not appear. I've tried several times in a PC and a Mac and it is always the same result. What am I missing? Is there a program that allows you to clone the card, not simply copy files?

Upvote 0
Happy Happy Days. I got it to work out. Thought I'd share my solution since it was the one thing that was screwing me over.

Formatting the card on the phone never worked because it would create it's own .android_secure on the SD card after the badboy was formatted. The .android_secure of course, is a hidden file, which can be unhidden by doing a Terminal command.

Here lies the problem, as a hidden file, my Mac wouldn't allow me to replace it. So, checking the disk format (FAT32), I used Disk Utility to do my own wipe, thus riding me of .android_secure. That way, I could add my own .android_secure to it.

My mistake was running a format using Optimus prior to copying stuff over, but I think .android_secure was created the moment the card was mounted, thus requiring me to format it while it was in the phone through Disk Utility.

Or maybe I'm just super special and this happend to only me. :p Life's a mystery. Thank you guys for your help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones