• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help T-Mobile multimedia message issues

Ok, I'm hoping one of you Android pros can help me. I honestly am sort of new to Android--I've had my Fierce since 2015 but I honestly haven't really tried to do a lot with it. I use to live in an area that didn't have the best network, so my data usually stayed off. I now live in an area with a lot better coverage, but I only just now realized that I can't get mms on T-Mobile. I checked, and 2G - LTE is covered where I live (though I know my phone only gets up to 3G). I have never received a notification to download a picture or an error message while on data or wifi (I know mms can't be received over wifi). But my internet works on data and I get great navigation.

I've tried a few different apns mentioned across threads, called T-Mobile (no help, suggested I give up and buy a new phone), disabled the native app and tried new messaging apps, and even did a factory reset.

Any ideas or suggestions? I bought this unlocked (I'm guessing to was a MetroPCs phone) and it is the exact model T-Mobile was selling at the time (which really just baffles me as to why I can't get better support for it from carrier...). I am using epc.tmobile.com as my apn since my phone is nonLTE.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Kevin Rose
I'm no pro/expert but these seem to be the settings for a 3g phone on T-Mobile. Might give it a try:

Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN:
  • Name: T-Mobile US LTE
  • APN: fast.t-mobile.com
  • Proxy: <Not set>
  • Port: <Not set>
  • Username: <Not set>
  • Password: <Not set>
  • Server: <Not set>
  • MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
  • MMS proxy: <Not set>
  • MMS port: <Not set>
  • MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
  • MCC: 310
  • MNC: 260
  • Authentication type: <Not set>
  • APN type: <Not set> OR Internet+MMS
  • APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
  • APN roaming protocol: IPv4
  • Enable/disable APN: <greyed out unless there are multiple APN's>
  • Bearer: Unspecified
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9636
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-31341

Upvote 0
If you aren't able to get MMS there are some things you can try:
Go ahead and connect to the fast.tmo.com APN

Make sure your phone is showing 3g/4g
Make sure your phone is up to date
Wipe your phone's Cache Partition
Make sure Data is turned on and 2g/3g switch is set to 3g

If these dont work, there are account settings that may need to be changed on TMO's side.

I have tried a wipe and I am on 3G. TMO did something on its end when I called, but I am not sure if it is anything related to my account. My phone is on Android jelly bean, and I don't think I can update it without rooting (and I'm not rooting. period.)

Upvote 0
It's already set to IPv4.

Here is what I have it set to. I have tried epc.tmobile.com. I have tried setting the MMS port to 80 and 8080. I can't add to the apn type because there are only radio buttons for mms, default, and supl, but I did try modifying the Univision apn on the SIM because it it listed fota and hipri in the types--didn't work.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 316
  • 2.png
    2.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones