• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering with US Cellular Portable Modem

jlmurren

Lurker
Nov 20, 2011
I am brand new to this android tablet. I have a portable modem with US Cellular. It plugs into the UBS on my laptop. I called them and asked if I could tether between my laptop and my android tablet. The said no because I had to have a US Cell tablet. When I go to my wi-fi settings on the tablet it shows my laptop but it is secured with a password. I asked USC if they had a password that I could try to use and they told me it was a default password of 000000. They didn't think it would work though because my tablet was not a USC tablet. Well they were correct. They said the only way I could tether was to get a new smart phone through them.
I am so frustrated with all the conflicting information plus trying to figure out how these tablets really work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am brand new to this android tablet. I have a portable modem with US Cellular. It plugs into the UBS on my laptop. I called them and asked if I could tether between my laptop and my android tablet. The said no because I had to have a US Cell tablet. When I go to my wi-fi settings on the tablet it shows my laptop but it is secured with a password. I asked USC if they had a password that I could try to use and they told me it was a default password of 000000. They didn't think it would work though because my tablet was not a USC tablet. Well they were correct. They said the only way I could tether was to get a new smart phone through them.
I am so frustrated with all the conflicting information plus trying to figure out how these tablets really work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure the password was incorrect. Although you may have entered an incorrect password, you will still be shown as connected, but your device wont actually have the internet until you input the correct password. All you need to do (on your laptop's USCC modem) is enable other devices to connect to it. You should be able to set a custom password for the device, too.

After that, search for the modem using your tablet and connect to it with the password you created. Then you should be able to use the tablet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones