• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I see the att go phone option as a perfect solution, except I'm afraid I would blow through the 6 gigs if I tethered much.

That's why figuring out how to make it work with straight talk and 10 gigs is so alluring. Why does st have to have so many strings attached? The way I see it, you pay for x amount of data. The way you choose to use it is your business.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Im tempted to pick up an lg g4 from swappa, and have it rooted, or root it, and tether it. Though I have read a few horror stories of service being suspended. They all seemed pretty old though.

I dunno. I'm likely over thinking all of it. I can use up 5 gigs now sometimes, but I don't always. Perhaps the rolling over would be my saving grace.

I'm afraid of poking around in a phone where I'm not sure of what I'm doing, and screwing it up.

Upvote 0
Try a factory unlocked phone. This my Moto G3 on Straight Talk's AT&T network. Native hotspot (from settings) working perfectly, tested with my tablet.
d252847a29d7d0ffbeaa7b75ba5d869a.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes I am rooted, but the tethering is turned on by default. This phone is bought from Motorola, not through Straight Talk. As I said, most carrier branded have modified the software to require network provisioning to enable tethering.
Right, but I'm not *necessarily* going to buy a straight talk branded phone. I'm certainly open to buying an att or unlocked phone. However, my g2 has mobile hotspot enabled, but it still tells me I need to contact my provider when I try to use it. But the phone will do it if the carrier provides it.

Rooting must be the difference.

Edit. Ahh, you mean not tied to any carrier, because att basically does the same thing. I wonder now if unlocking will do the trick. Doesn't cost a great deal. It's worth a try.

Upvote 0
What's the problem if I buy a phone from eBay?

Counterfeits, blacklisted, duffs, etc. ...I've read quite a lot of posts over the years, things like "I bought this phone on Ebay, worked for a few weeks, and now it's showing EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY.", "I bought this Samsung S6 cheap, camera takes awful pictures, Kies doesn't recognize it, it shipped from China....."

One thing, Swappa does ESN/IMEI checks on every device, make sure they're clean, Ebay does not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First one I bought worked fine for 2 months. Then it began only working on a charger. It wasn't a battery problem. I tried multiple batteries.

I forget what happened to number two. Number three began not responding to touch in some areas.

On number one I carried around a portable battery booster for a vehicle for a month or so in a backpack to plug my phone to until I got another phone. Lol

Each time I chose a seller with very good, positive feedback. I'm not saying that it it is not possible to buy a great phone off eBay, but I am saying it is always a crapshoot. And it just isn't worth taking a chance with that much money.

Upvote 0
As to throttling, or service suspension, aren't there apps to disguise tether activity? I don't plan to use it much. I just need to upload a data log file to email and send now and then from my truck for my engine tuner, and download a calibration file from email sometimes. But I'll usually be downloading the file at night at home. It will be more for uploading the data logs.

These actions need to be done with Windows programs from my laptop.

I would love to tether my tablet for use with navigation and the larger screen, but now I'm thinking downloading offline maps may be the way to go.

Riggerman, have you ever been reprimanded for tethering?

Last edited:
Reactions: Guggy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones