• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Textra & MMS error

PattiCakeUS

Android Expert
May 24, 2010
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I have an LG G3 on Sprint, & I've been using Textra on this phone since I bought the phone in February, with no issues at all. Last week I did a factory reset on my phone because it's been acting a little weird sometimes (nothing to do with Textra or texts) - and since then, I keep getting an error when I have Textra set as my default texting app.

The error message is:
Om36IIU.png

When I go into the MMS settings, these are the screens. I didn't ever make any changes to the MMS settings so it *should* still work... also FYI, the stock text app on my phone works fine without giving me any errors.
OZtEr8h.png

QwS8pX5.png

Has anyone else had a similar problem with Textra? I sent them an email asking for help but so far the only thing they suggested was changing from Legacy to System, which made no difference. And like I said, the stock text app on my phone still works fine, so I'm thinking this is a Textra issue.

Last edited:
Thanks KOLIO, I did try that & it didn't make a difference. I got another suggestion tonight from the Textra people & they suggested turning off "Auto-Retrieve" in the stock messaging app - which I did, and it's getting me closer!

After turning off Auto-Retrieve in the stock app, it worked when I was on wifi - so I switched off the "prefer wifi" setting in Textra because 90% of the time I'm not on wifi (only when I'm at home, never at work or out & about) - and now pics aren't coming through again.

I had no idea doing a factory reset was going to muck things up like this! (And sadly, it didn't fix my other phone weirdness so it was pretty much a complete waste of time & effort) I'm pretty sure I used to get pics when I wasn't on wifi & I don't know how to get it to work that way again. Ugh.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Thanks KOLIO, I did try that & it didn't make a difference. I got another suggestion tonight from the Textra people & they suggested turning off "Auto-Retrieve" in the stock messaging app - which I did, and it's getting me closer!

After turning off Auto-Retrieve in the stock app, it worked when I was on wifi - so I switched off the "prefer wifi" setting in Textra because 90% of the time I'm not on wifi (only when I'm at home, never at work or out & about) - and now pics aren't coming through again.

I had no idea doing a factory reset was going to muck things up like this! (And sadly, it didn't fix my other phone weirdness so it was pretty much a complete waste of time & effort) I'm pretty sure I used to get pics when I wasn't on wifi & I don't know how to get it to work that way again. Ugh.

Just for giggles,try using the T-Mobile WI-FI Calling fix that's in the MMS Settings.
I realize you're on Sprint,but,it couldn't hurt to try.

If that doesn't do it,perhaps an older version will work:
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/delicious-inc/textra/

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
Have you tried installing another Messaging App such as Chomp or Handcent to see how it works/behaves in parallel with the installed Textra? If the problem does not occur with the alternative app, the issue is most likely with the Textra, but if it occurs with a newly installed app and well as with Textra would tend to point to your phone. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Grr. @smitty: I started to respond to you asking if it would really tell me anything new to install another app, when the stock texting app works as I'd expect - but then I thought OK fine, I'll just do it & I don't think it'll be useful...

I installed handcent (which I used for years so I'm generally familiar with it) & then I turned off wifi & sent myself a picture. It came through fine, which bums me out because the textra guy doesn't seem to know how to fix my problem.

I've tried clearing the cache, uninstalling & reinstalling. I don't know what else to try.

Upvote 0
Interesting test tonight. Textra guy helping me bumped me up to another guy (he said it was one of the devs) - tonight they asked me to uninstall Textra & install their sister app, Chomp SMS & try sending myself a pic on mobile data. Chomp also failed, but the error Chomp gave me said "Failed to send MMS, turn on Mobile Data"

But mobile data WAS on, & trying to send from within the stock text app still works fine on mobile data. I even tried changing my Network mode. Normally I use LTE/CDMA, but I tried switching to Automatic, CDMA & GSM/UMTS & still got the above error.

Not sure if anyone is still reading this but thought I'd update with new info. in case anyone here has any bright ideas based on this. So far: 1) default text app works fine sending & receiving pics on mobile data, 2) Handcent also works on mobile data, but 3) both Textra & Chomp fail to send pics on mobile data & it seems like maybe it's because for some reason, they think I don't have mobile data on - when it's on.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Interesting test tonight. Textra guy helping me bumped me up to another guy (he said it was one of the devs) - tonight they asked me to uninstall Textra & install their sister app, Chomp SMS & try sending myself a pic on mobile data. Chomp also failed, but the error Chomp gave me said "Failed to send MMS, turn on Mobile Data"

But mobile data WAS on, & trying to send from within the stock text app still works fine on mobile data. I even tried changing my Network mode. Normally I use LTE/CDMA, but I tried switching to Automatic, CDMA & GSM/UMTS & still got the above error.

Not sure if anyone is still reading this but thought I'd update with new info. in case anyone here has any bright ideas based on this. So far: 1) default text app works fine sending & receiving pics on mobile data, 2) Handcent also works on mobile data, but 3) both Textra & Chomp fail to send pics on mobile data & it seems like maybe it's because for some reason, they think I don't have mobile data on - when it's on.
Perhaps this is a bug that's developed w/something new that Sprint is doing w/their data.
It's just a guess,as nothing else has semmingly changed...............

Upvote 0
Ut-oh, Chomp just updated for an MMS fix. You better not have made them break it for me @PattiCakeUS!!! It was working just fine... [emoji14]
It's funny, I saw that update this morning, it fixed my problem!

Even weirder: I deleted Chomp now, & Textra is working again, even though Textra wasn't just updated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones