• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help TF201 EE Pad Update problem

Alan Bowman

Lurker
Jul 15, 2022
I recently came across my old Transformer Prime TF201 EE pad.
However everything is now out of date on it (Haven't used it in about 7 years) and I cannot connect to most web sites.
I have a strong internet connection but I think my browser is out of date.
When I try to do a software update I get an internet connection error. When i try to get to asus.com I get website not available, playstore gives me a couldn't establish a secure connection error.
I am assuming this is because my browser is no longer supported, it is the one that came pre-installed on the unit when I first bought it back in 2012.
Does anyone know how I can get a more up to date browser installed without internet?
I have tried rooting the device but again I get this internet connection error when I run the unlock device tool. (Unknown error occurs, which may be a network connection issue)
I have trawled through youtube and tried everything I have found, but without the internet connection I seem to be stuck.

you can use other browsers. i don't think this is a browser issue per se. i think it has more to do with your wifi connection. have you tried rebooting your router? maybe delete your wifi info on your device, then re-sign in to your network and see if that helps.

I have gone through all of the steps to reboot my router, I have managed to get another browser installed, this let me get Play store updated so now it is working.
But I still have problems with some programs not being able to access my internet connection. I was trying to Root my tabley so I could install a more up to date version of Android, but the root program needs to connect to internet to unlock my machine and it cannot.
I am also having problems with some software installs as the tablet cannot open certain files that it should be able to.
At least I have it working to some degree now.
I think most of my problems are due to incompatibility issues with the old software, I have tried doing the normal updates but the updater cannot connect to internet.

Upvote 0
first off, it just can't be any android update. android os are very device specific. there is no generic android s that works on any device.

if you root the device, and get a custom recovery, then you can flash a custom rom. now keep in mind that it most likely will not be, exactly, be a higher android os. the way custom roms work is that the devs will take pieces of newer android os and incorporate that into the framework of whatever update your device last had. over course all of this is determined if the developers still have active links for their roms as your device is really old as you stated. most devs only support their links for so long.

.......so i'm not sure where you are going to get a "more up to date version of android"

i think its just that your device is now so old that most websites and apps have moved on and no longer support your device or technology. you are better off getting a new device. there are plenty of budget tablets that have a new os that will run much better than what you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones