• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thank you marshmallow, you just ruined my phone

Shotgun84

Extreme Android User
May 30, 2011
Cambridgeshire, England
You don't know how much I wish I didn't update. I used to get decent battery life as the built in stamina mode would cut off the internet from any app unless I selected it not to. This used to happen pretty much instantly when the screen was turned off, and there was also an option to keep the phone asleep when you used it to look at the clock. Now thanks to marshmallow doze this has gone. And what did they replace it with. The exact same thing (minus being able to look at the time) except that it takes 10 to 15 minutes to kick in after your phone been perfectly still. Now how does that work when I'm working. The only time my phone stays still for 10 minutes is when I'm at home and could put out on charge anyway. I'm getting home from work with about 20% less battery. Thanks google. Here's hoping Sony bring back stamina.

Well maybe it's a good thing battery life is so bad as it'll mean I have to charge my phone overnight which will stop it going into doze mode. I just missed about 20 important notifications as my phone didn't wake up from doze. They all came through when my alarm went off this morning. These notifications were even from an app which I've set not to ignore battery optimization. What makes Google think they have the right to tell me when I get my notifications? If I didn't want them instantly I wouldn't have them turned on in the first place. So thanks again Google you've just turned the best phone I've had into a pile of rubbish. Looks like I'm getting an iphone.

Upvote 0
Sony will not be able to bring back Stamina because Google does not allow manufacturers to interfere with Android's core functionalities, like Doze. They might be able to introduce something different and call it Stamina, but it won't be the same.

I had a discussion on Stamina vs Doze and on why unwanted apps run in the background for no apparent reason here: http://androidforums.com/threads/wh...nning-in-the-background-android-flaw.1053919/

Upvote 0
I get excellent battery life, and the easy way.

MacroDroid turns off DATA and WiFi on 4.4.4
On 5.1 and later, only WiFi

But, as I never turn DATA on, it does the trick.
the macro Triggers on Screen OFF.
then it toggles WiFi OFF.

job #1 done....
the phone goes to sleep and the internet shall never bother it.
I don't have to fool with checking 'staminia' or any other funky stuff.

When I pick the phone up, a 2nd macro notes that the Screen is AWAKE.
and it toggles WiFi 'ON'...
easy as pie

* MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

Upvote 0
I get excellent battery life, and the easy way.

MacroDroid turns off DATA and WiFi on 4.4.4
On 5.1 and later, only WiFi

But, as I never turn DATA on, it does the trick.
the macro Triggers on Screen OFF.
then it toggles WiFi OFF.

job #1 done....
the phone goes to sleep and the internet shall never bother it.
I don't have to fool with checking 'staminia' or any other funky stuff.

When I pick the phone up, a 2nd macro notes that the Screen is AWAKE.
and it toggles WiFi 'ON'...
easy as pie

* MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play
So the easy way? Please explain in laymans terms. I always have data on so I lost you when you said you don't ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones