• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Blues/Roots Thread

general eclect

Android Expert
Apr 10, 2013
downunder
Seeing as there isn't a blues thread I thought I'd start one to see if there are any other blues lovers here. Whilst blues is my main love musically I'm also into 'real R & B', as in, rhythm and blues from WWII through to the soul and funk of the seventies and eighties.

One of my favourite blues instrumentals is John Lee Hooker-Guitar Blues (Instrumental) - YouTube

I'm a fan of most if not all the Chess recording artists, e.g. Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Willie Dixon, Junior Wells, Buddy Guy etc, and also enjoy both urban blues and country blues (both types of music!).

This is a good space to post yootoob clips of your fave blues artists or songs!

Reactions: Crashdamage
A couple of years ago I heard a song by Stevie Ray Vaughan and was instantly addicted to his music. That song was entitled The Sky Is Crying. After hearing that I immediately began looking for more of his music and found that he was an outstanding performer. Since then I've also become addicted to the music of Eric Clapton.

I grew up on country music and didn't know I would love blues so much.

Upvote 0
All the early Fleetwood Mac material is good. At the risk of sounding like a mysogynist, once they had women in the band their music deteriorated.

If you like 'Shake your Moneymaker' have a listen to Hound Dog Taylor's version. Matter of fact anything by Hound Dog Taylor is good.

Jimmy Dawkins was also a shit hot blues guitarist, sadly he passed away a few days ago. Listen to,his album 'Fast Fingers'.

Upvote 0
CW Stoneking is a contemporary blues singer from downunder who sounds like a 1920s original. From what i recall he grew up in the outback and now lives in Melbourne. He's VERY good.

Absolutely love C.W Stoneking! Saw him live a couple of years back in London and it was such an amazing gig, his performance was top notch and the stories he tells in between songs are great.

I'm a BIG fan of delta blues - Robert Johnson, Bukka White, Charley Patton, Skip James etc. Stuff from the 1920's - 60's is always my favourite. It is my go-to music for train journeys in the summer - something about delta blues makes travelling that much more enjoyable :)

And another favourite - Elizabeth Cotten

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm5-WdB_aVE

Upvote 0
Australia's version of the BBC is the ABC.

When Hound Dog Taylor toured here in '75, only months before he died, he was recorded by ABC Radio in the ABC studios (like the BBC, the ABC do radio as well as telly). I managed to get hold of a copy of the recordings a few years ago and made them available on a legal d/l site that only has non-commercial release recordings available. They're fairly readily found, on various audience recording sites. Search for Hound Dog Taylor Sydney. There should be versions available both with and without the studio chatter between songs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones