• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

the hideous lightray...how metro can save it

THE W

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2012
Detroit
i believe we all agree that the lightray was stupid. metro trying to sell a $200 phone for more than double the price. i guess they wanted to see if there would be any early adopters of the dial TV phone concept. there might have been if the price wasnt so high.

still, there's a way that metro can actually make this phone worth getting. it will require some work, but they can do it and they should do it because they have to be taking a loss on this phone.

the first video on youtube stated that this phone was eligible to get ICS in the future. there's actually an option in settings that allows for firmware updates. metro needs to make it a priority for this to happen.

metro said in an article on dial TV that they would start charging for it sometime next year. maybe this means they will add some cable channels to the lineup. i'd love to be able to watch ESPN(s), cartoon network(adult swim), and comedy central on my phone. i never watch MTV, BET, or VH1 but many other people do.

metrostudio, rhapsody, and metro navigator are basically bloatware. there are much better apps out there doing the same thing and for free. you get all 3 of these on the $70 plan.

what if metro were to get rid of those 3 apps and make the $70 plan a dial TV plan where you could get your local channels plus all the channels mentioned. you're not gonna get 100 cable channels like with a traditional cable plan but who actually watches 100 channels? the average person probably only watches shows from 10 channels at the most.

again, long shot, but how else are they gonna justify getting people to pay for dial TV? even if they did all this the lightray would still need to come down to $300 at least.

I like the plan you have laid out. It would definitely be doable. But they would have to expand dyle's signal. Not available where I live.
I'm on the old $60 unlimited plan with Rhapsody. I do listen to it. I prefer it cause I can download what I want to listen to & go offline. I don't know of any other service that does that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones