• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The King of Beers watered down?????

Nothing wrong with a bud... it's just a casual thirst quencher (must be ice cold!). It serves a purpose.

The Nigerian export Guinness is better than standard, but yes it's all about the micro-breweries. Over here you tend to get pubs becoming restaurants who like to showcase different ales on a monthly rotation, it gives them a good rep.

It is disappointing to see old brands being reduced to nothing though, but for the most part people drink from cans or plastic bottles to get intoxicated.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
(must be ice cold!)

We Brits are guilty of many a heinous crime, but warm beer has got to be right up there.

We've had refrigerators for a century: the suffering can be over!

The Nigerian export Guinness is better than standard

But is it better than in Ireland?

Of course, Africa is the biggest market for Guiness.

but yes it's all about the micro-breweries

V true. A mate of mine has one. Makes awesome beers, including the own-label for Selfridges. Don't tell him, but I still prefer the Belgian monks' beers, though :)

Upvote 0
Sorry, I'm a CAMRA fan. ;)
Can't stand "ice cold" beer. Beers should be served at a proper temp depending on the style.
Amen to that! The reason why mass-produced American beers are served "ice cold" is because nobody would tolerate them if they could actually taste them. :puke:

Good beers are best enjoyed when chilled, but not nearly-frozen.

Upvote 0
:thinking: Did beer suddenly become a food and beverage just now? :p

One thing about Budweiser in America is that they use rice to brew it.

There are four things that I want in beer: water, malted barley, hops and yeast. (I'd prefer it if the active yeast is removed first, or at least killed so I don't get a case of turista after drinking the beer.) Adding wheat on special occasions I can tolerate. But start adding or replacing ingredients, and I wonder if it's still beer. Sake is made with rice, and it's not beer. Is American Budweiser wine? :dontknow: Sake also tastes a whole lot better when it's warmer than room temperature too, so...

I grew up in the good old US of A, but I learned to drink in Germany. For the life of me I can't figure out how my homeland managed to butcher something as simple as beer. It only takes 4 ingredients! This is one case where more is not better!!! My fellow Americans: STOP ADDING CRAP TO YOUR BEER!!! If you feel you must add seaweed, cinnamon and orange peels, "foaming agents" and other crap like that, it's spoilt! It's not worth saving! Throw it out! :eviltongue:

Upvote 0
Speed, I used to be a hardcore homebrewer (don't have much time now :() and I'm also a certified BJCP judge.
Adjuncts like rice are traditional in a lot of styles. A well made cream ale is almost always made with it. One of my favorites in the summer as a "lawnmower" beer. :)
I've tried a lot of what Dogfish Head makes and most of their beers have all kinds of "stuff" added to em including a lot of sugar to boost the ABV. It's appropriate at times like in Belgian style ales (boost ABV but not body as to keep attenuation high).
With beers like Bud, it's traditional to add something that is highly fermentable like rice or corn. They give you the alcohol with little flavor.
When I got to tour the Maker's Mark distillery (which I highly recommend doing because it's so beautiful there) they had their wash still fermenting openly in huge vats. They said go ahead dip your finger in and try it. :eek:
It's mostly corn as all bourbon should be so you get a good feel for what that tastes like.

Upvote 0
Yeah, well...my preferences are my own and I'm entitled to them. Just as I'm entitled to poke fun at a thing or two in the interest of good humor.

I've tried all sorts of beers and ales, and tend to like the simpler brews made true to the Reinheitsgebot and without all the spices and other additives that are all the rage these days. That's my choice. I'm not asking anyone to join me.

As for alcohol content, since the hepatitis virus has eaten most of my liver, I'm under doctor's orders to limit my alcohol intake severely, along with other dietary adjustments. So the closest to beer I'm going to get is the occasional Clausthaler, which I enjoy very much. :)

Upvote 0
so is there a european version of budweisser? somebody just told me that stella was the "king of beers" in europe.
There was in the previous century, when there were two Germanies, and Heineken was the only European beer brand that most Americans could recognize. Don't know about how it is today.

The name itself, as well as the Brand and the rights originated in Europe in the 19th century. So the American Budweiser that originated in St. Louis, MO was a knock-off of "Budweiser Bier" imported from Europe at the time.

From the look of things, Herr Anheuser not only took the brand name from the legitimate Bohemian brewer, but also copied the label design with the precision of a counterfeiter. The Czech beer cans that I saw on sale in various European countries back then bore a remarkable similarity to its American cousin. After the fall of Communism, a lot of things have changed though.

Upvote 0
so is there a european version of budweisser? somebody just told me that stella was the "king of beers" in europe.

budweiser-budvar-premium-czech-republic-lager-beer-10x-500ml.jpg

;)
It's actually very good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones