• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "Linux questions (and other stuff)" thread

I'm having a seemingly random problem, and although it manifests itself in Android apps, I think it's a Linux question/issue. Hence my posting here.

I'll be using a file manager to do...drumroll, please...file management!, on my network. An operation [rename, move, delete] will fail. The FM provides no hint of why it failed.

While troubleshooting, I've done assorted things:

- tried a different FM
-- sometimes it fails, too
-- sometimes it succeeds

- verified that I have not lost my connection to the particular drive involved

- copied the file(s) to a different directory [on the same computer]
-- sometimes I'm then able to complete the action
-- sometimes I'm not

Ultimately, always, I'm able to successfully complete the original action, in the original location.

It should go without saying that the drive/directory/subdirectory/file in question all have full read/write permissions.

Does anyone have any clue what's going on here? :thinking:

Upvote 0
SpaceX made history this week, as I'm sure everyone knows, sending two NASA astronauts off to the International Space Station. But did you know they're using Linux? Not only that, but the ISS itself switched from window$ to Linux in 2013. Nice! :)

Upvote 0
SpaceX made history this week, as I'm sure everyone knows, sending two NASA astronauts off to the International Space Station. But did you know they're using Linux? Not only that, but the ISS itself switched from window$ to Linux in 2013. Nice! :)

IMG_20200611_064646.jpg

Upvote 0
Installation 17 minutes to go apparently. Wish I could read Korean.
View attachment 151808
Red Star OS from North Korea. :thumbsupdroid:
Oh, I can help you! It says...um...it says, 'be patient, you're almost done'...or something like that! :D

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I did a bit more exploring of Red Star OS. I does have a Korean only version of OpenOffice, however there's NO terminal, and there's no way to add or remove any additional software, presumably because Kim Jong-un doesn't want users be doing other things with it.

Interesting it does come with a music composer program though.
music.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
I did a bit more exploring of Red Star OS. I does have a Korean only version of OpenOffice, however there's NO terminal, and there's no way to add or remove any additional software, presumably because Kim Jong-un doesn't want users be doing other things with it.
Whoa... I just can't imagine a *nix without those abilities, you know? Shit, even Android lets us use a command line. And install stuff.
Interesting it does come with a music composer program though.
Well, that's nice. You can write music instead of nasty bash commands...like ls or pwd.... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Whoa... I just can't imagine a *nix without those abilities, you know? Shit, even Android lets us use a command line. And install stuff.

Well, that's nice. You can write music instead of nasty bash commands...like ls or pwd.... :rolleyes:

I believe that making music, and the ability to play an instrument is strongly encouraged in North Korea. In fact in the '90s, teachers were apparently required to be able to play the accordion as part of their teaching qualifications. :thumbsupdroid:

BTW I think China gave up with government made Linux distros. things like Red Flag Linux. Of course there's still things like Deepin, which is private AFAICT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another day, another Linux distro for me to look at.
You're making my head spin! :eek:

But I can appreciate the fun of exploring/experimenting with lots of different Linux distros. I used to do a fair bit of that myself, even after settling on Kubuntu as my distro back in 2005--though never a foreign language [and propaganda] distro. I could see giving a French version a whirl...although my French is hopelessly rusty. Armenian would be about as foreign! [And I'm Armenian.]

Do keep us posted as you install your way around the globe. I find it fascinating. :)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
You're making my head spin! :eek:

But I can appreciate the fun of exploring/experimenting with lots of different Linux distros. I used to do a fair bit of that myself, even after settling on Kubuntu as my distro back in 2005--though never a foreign language [and propaganda] distro. I could see giving a French version a whirl...although my French is hopelessly rusty. Armenian would be about as foreign! [And I'm Armenian.]

Do keep us posted as you install your way around the globe. I find it fascinating. :)

Well it didn't take me long to find a show-stopping issue with Nova, when I tried to run the update.

nova.jpg

If their own repo can't be authenticated....good luck with this distro!

But at least this "communist" state sponsored distro has a terminal, unlike Red Star OS.

BTW arcane, and off-the-beaten-track Linux has sometimes interest of mine from time to time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones