• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

**The OFFICIAL Words of Wisdom Thread**

A stick is one of the best theft deterrents, even the thieves/carjackers don't know how to drive one. All my vehicles are stick, don't like autos and it doesn't bother me driving stick in traffic.
YAY! A fellow manual transmission enthusiast! All my vehicles have been sticks since...let me think...well, for about 35 years now. I learned to drive on an automatic, but I never really felt like I was DRIVING.

One day, when my husband and I were young, broke, and my car had broken down (and we had no money to fix it), a friend offered to let us borrow his car--a stick. That night, my husband taught me the basics--complicated by the fact 2nd gear was missing. This was an old Karmann Ghia, with three speeds. The next morning, driving to work was quite the adventure, especially when I approached a hill from a standing stop. I couldn't quite get up the hill... I don't know how many times I rolled back, and I was either in tears or almost (it was 100 years ago, so I'm not sure any more), but finally made it up the little hill.

You'd think after that I'd never want to touch a stick shift again, but a few years later I declared that my new car would be manual and that was that!

Now I take HUGELY steep streets (which people think only San Francisco has, but LA has some, too) without even thinking about shifting--it's just natural. And when our daughter was ready to learn to drive, she moaned that all her friends were learning on automatics. We told her, well, both of our cars are manual--and if you plan on using them, you'll have to learn how! She's a great stick shift driver now, too, taking on San Francisco when she lived there, plus any time she goes abroad and rents a vehicle, they're always manuals, so she's good. :D

Upvote 0
61496441_100376794529561_2238320982558818841_v.jpg

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
For fans of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (and all his other tales), this is one of my favorite quotes from C.S. Lewis:

View attachment 142364
Beautiful. :)

I loved The Chronicles of Narnia as a child, and about 20 years ago bought a boxed set.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones