• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help There are intrusive pop-up ads on my phone and I cant get them to go away (Details Inside)

I am fairly new to this site, but after doing a quick search I wasn't able to find the information I needed to restore my phone.

Anyways, here's my problem: Once every few hours an ad pops up in the middle of the screen on my Samsung Galaxy s4. From what I can tell, it does this regardless of what application is open on my phone. I have tried adding a bunch of anti-virus applications (Avast, Lookout, etc.) And they have turned up with nothing. I went through my files and searched for adware, but I couldn't find anything.

I think it relates to mobogenie, which I know now is linked to a lot of intrusive adds. I remember finding it at the top of my "Downloads" folder, and I made the terrible mistake of installing it, thinking it must have been something I had forgotten about. I uninstalled it, but that didn't change anything, I still get adds.

The ads are usually to dating sites ( I think one time even a Mexican restaurant) and they appear as notifications in the middle of my screen, and they wont go away until I click the tiny "skip ad" option in the top left. Sometimes chrome will abruptly open and will load a site that always has a that begins with "safety mobi" or "all mobile apps expert". Another notification from the site pops up and tells me that a fatal virus has entered from an adult website and that I must remove it now.

I've tried looking up ways to fix this, but the only thing I can think of is to a hard reset on my phone, but I don't want to lose contacts, messages, and other things I would rather keep. I am sad to say that I never backed up my phone, and It was a stupid decision not to. Before resetting I would have to take all my images off, but I'm nervous to connect my phone to my PC since I've heard the virus can get on there too.

If anyone can help me figure out how to get rid of these ads or safely reset my phone while saving as much as I can, I would really appreciate it!

I also understand that this problem could have also been solved elsewhere on this site. If so, I am sorry for reposting, but if you could send a link to that thread I would also be just as grateful.

Thank you, and I look forward to any support you can give.

I had the same exact problem with pop-ups on my Samsung Galxy S4. Tried to get ride of it but nothing was working, I was still having add poping all the time on my screan. One day I was sending out by email an attached piece when I realise that in the file record there where all king of strange files (named: aHR0cDovl...3LnBiZw==) Ive erase them all and since then no more pop-ups. So check your files or wherever your pdf, ect are keep in your phone, you might find your answer.

PS: Sorry for the mistakes im a frenchie trying to right in english. ;) Hopefuly this will help someone !!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones