• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of leaving Android..

keanoo

May 1, 2010
I'm feeling pretty bored with Android, I have no real complaints at all. My Galaxy Nexus is running great and I'm very happy with it, I just fancy a change really..
The impending launch of 4G in the UK is a good enough excuse for me to get a new phone and for the first time I'm looking away from Android.

The Android phones so far announced for the network are the GS3, One XL, Note 2 and some Huawei, the only one of which that interests me is the Note 2.

Which basically means it's the Note 2 vs the Lumia 920 for me. I'm pretty sure I'll regret going over to WP8 but I still find myself wanting to, I just love the look and style of the Lumia and have missed Nokia phones!

Can anyone convince me to stay with Android?

Hey keanoo
I do agree that Lumia 920 provides great interface and features in the prone but I will suggest you to stick to android platform as it provides you a large number of apps for every purpose and windows will restrict you to selected apps. Android is a great platform and provides you multiple nice smart phone to choose from, your can also have HTC One XL in consideration and soon it will get Jelly Beans upgrade too.

Upvote 0
I would suggest to get the S3 or the One XL, i think they are both spectacular phones and will do anything you want them to do, however, maybe i don't know if you have or not, you should explore the world of rooting.

I know i basically fell in love with my device all over again once i did, it was like having an entirely new phone, and it was awesome!

However, i can see your plight, as the Note 2 will probably be pretty awesome, although the final decision is up to you and what you prefer :)

Upvote 0
Go for the Lumia 920.

If you're bored with Android and just get another one, you'll be bored. And you will be thinking, "What if?" Why not try something new- either you love it (no problems), it will be OK (you can live with it for the duration of your contract), or it sucks (you return and get an android phone). No matter the outcome, you'll know what the 920/windows mobile is like and can live in peace with Android.

I have to admit, the Lumia is a very interesting phone. That and I still have a soft spot for Nokia phones. I'll probably try out a Lumia when my contract is up or something. That is if Nokia is still around...

Upvote 0
It will be like going back to cupcake, if anyone remembers that. WP is still basically in beta stage. The software will be buggy, unfinished, and unpolished. Apps are extremely limited since devs aren't on board yet. Be prepared to go to a software which is experiencing growing pains. I've been with android since the G1, so WP may well be worth it. Just be ready for what you're getting into.

Upvote 0
Greetings keanoo,

Why do you need convincing to stay with Android?

The people here who love their phones are going to give you their opinions on why they like their phone. The problem with that is that it's their opinion. Your reasons are probably going to differ from theirs.

You state that your bored with Android, but you make mention of the Note 2. You do realize that the operating system will still be the same.

At the end of the day, you have to go with what makes you happy in the end.

No one else can provide you with a answer to leave or stay.

Upvote 0
I like the Note 2 and the use of the S-pen is interesting to me. Samsung has a few good inventive features...mostly gimmicky but still good, IMO. I think the Note 2 will be a fresh new look to Android if you are bored with the standard offering. I can probably say the same thing about the SGS3.

I just got my SGS3 (Verizon) and so far...I like it. The SGS3's video pop up feature is new to me so I was immediately impressed. I like new features..I'm a sucker for them even if it's gimmicky to some.

Upvote 0
If you REALLY want to get the feel for a windows phone, Download Launcher 7 from the Play store.

It's nothing too special, IMO, and last time I used a windows phone (Nearly 8 years ago now) it was terrible. The PHONE looked cool, though. As far as design, I mean.

As far as apps, I mean...I know there are a lot in the play store, but I'm not sure about Windows. I know iPhone has a TON, but iPhone just isn't for me. It's too pricey, and my sister has one. SHe drives me nuts with the damn thing. "LOOK AT MY HIPSTER SHOT OF MY DOG."

I then take a 3D picture of her dog and it looks better ;)

Regardless, though, it's just about preference. I prefer android, due to what customization can come with it.

Not to knock iOS, I know you can jailbreak and stuff, it's just what I like.

That should be what matters with you, too. What you look for in the device.

Upvote 0
Why hasn't anyone stated the obvious about WP - that the Metro UI 'tiles' are just the equivalent of apps, folders or widgets on an Android homescreen with really big, ugly, square icons. That Metro and WP adds absolutely nothing new or useful to mobile operating systems we don't already have. Tech reviews on WP are clueless.

It's just horrible...

Because not everyone has the same opinion on the UI as you. Some people actually find it likeable. There's a reason why those apps anf mods that turn Android phones into Winphone wannabes exist and actually has a following.

Upvote 0
Because not everyone has the same opinion on the UI as you. Some people actually find it likeable. There's a reason why those apps anf mods that turn Android phones into Winphone wannabes exist and actually has a following.
I think you kinda missed my main point, which was not just that I don't like WP, but that despite tech reviewer hype, it really offers nothing new or innovative. There's really nothing there we don't already have. But there's stuff missing we *do* already have.

I can't think of a single compelling reason to switch to WP, but no trouble finding reasons not to.

As for apps to make Android look like a WP or iPhone - I just don't get it. If I had an Aston Martin, why would I want to make it look like a Toyota Prius?

Upvote 0
Sleeper? Like dropping a 283 into a Sunbeam Alpine and calling it the Sunbeam Tiger.
(Front end heavy)

I wouldn't mind having an Iphone shell (No hardware) only and dropping Android components in. That would blow some minds.

If you like whatever OS, Style, packaging, then it's your choice whatever others may think.

Reactions: Prinny
Upvote 0
IMO Windows phones are full of fail. No apps and just doesnt have the developer community that is available here.

Not yet at least. Considering that all Windows 8 devices (phone, RT Tablet and Pro) will be using the same kernel. Obviously the PC mod community will move over to Win8, maybe not immediately, but in a year or so they would have. Then take into consideration that all Metro apps made using the Windows Tools are able to run on all Metro devices (phone, RT and Pro), it will just be a matter of time before app market grows. Remember, Android did start from scratch too, and it entered a market some tens of thousands of apps behind iOS and eventually caught up.

Personally I want it to be a three horse race. Better competition and better improvement.

Upvote 0
I'm feeling pretty bored with Android, I have no real complaints at all. My Galaxy Nexus is running great and I'm very happy with it, I just fancy a change really..
The impending launch of 4G in the UK is a good enough excuse for me to get a new phone and for the first time I'm looking away from Android.

to be honest, the impending launch of 4g isn't that spectacular at the moment.. limited locations, coverage, networks and phones mean that its no socks are going to be blown off right away.

Hold on another 6 months after the launch and you might have some more interesting options...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones