• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of switching

glock29guy

Apr 13, 2012
Hi all,

I currently have an LG Optimus V with Virgin Mobile. I like the phone and the coverage, but the data is a bit slow. Also, I've been getting really close to my 1200 minutes for the past few months and have considered going with an unlimited plan.

Has anyone ditched VM for ST? How do you like it? I probably would want a phone to run on the Verizon or AT&T networks. What are some good lower end phones that are similar to my Optimus V?

Thanks

a6d8a2bd-7c69-e601.jpg

Went from vm to straight talk.. Any att phone will work

Upvote 0
I switched. Not sure it's much faster so far though. I live in a 1x area for VM but it's Edge (2g) for AT&T here. But where we do our shopping and stuff it's 3g for VM and still only Edge for AT&T. But even with the 3G I couldn't even get a data signal a lot of the time. I haven't had the Nexus with AT&T long enough to know how well it'll work though. But the phone is only about a billion times nicer.

Upvote 0
I've decided that I'm making the switch. I ordered an AT&T sim and a galaxy nexus (huge upgrade from my optimus v). My VM data speeds are super slow, sometimes dropping below 100kbps and I have 3G in my area too. I wonder if Sprint customers have data this slow or if its just VM?

I've been pleased with VM (been with them almost two years now). I have the grandfathered $40/1200min plan. I've been wanting a new phone, but they make you switch over to the new prices, so for the same price I can get unlimited everything with ST.

I'm not too worried about data caps or anything like that since I never go over 500MB per month. I only browse the web and check email.

If for some reason ST doesn't work out, I'd probably go with one of the T-Mobile monthly plans.

Upvote 0
Tomorrow I'm making the switch to ST, i have the new S3 waiting for me when I get home :] I've been on VM way too long now and finally ready to make the switch, VMs data is too slow and from friends around me using ATT, their data speeds are pretty good, MUCH better than VM that is for sure, i'll update how I'm feeling with speeds

Upvote 0
I've decided that I'm making the switch. I ordered an AT&T sim and a galaxy nexus (huge upgrade from my optimus v). My VM data speeds are super slow, sometimes dropping below 100kbps and I have 3G in my area too. I wonder if Sprint customers have data this slow or if its just VM?

I've been pleased with VM (been with them almost two years now). I have the grandfathered $40/1200min plan. I've been wanting a new phone, but they make you switch over to the new prices, so for the same price I can get unlimited everything with ST.

I'm not too worried about data caps or anything like that since I never go over 500MB per month. I only browse the web and check email.

If for some reason ST doesn't work out, I'd probably go with one of the T-Mobile monthly plans.
AH I'm so excited for you! I did the same phone switch and I swear, I keep picking my nexus up and just admire it. My OV looks pretty lame in comparison (although I thought it was pretty spankin' when I got it).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones