• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ting will offer GSM service (in addition to CDMA) starting February 2015

kate

Dreaming of Bugdroid.
Aug 14, 2013
tingmobile.com
In a recent blog post Ting announced they will start offering service on both GSM and CDMA networks starting in February 2015. :) They'll continue using the Sprint CDMA network, and based on the GSM coverage map they will be using T-Mobile for GSM with voice & text roaming on AT&T.

You'll be able to use CDMA and GSM phones on the same account and combine usage if you have multiple people/phones. Looks like most unlocked GSM phones will work, T-Mobile phones wont need unlocking, but AT&T phones will. Some newer Verizon phones will also work. Ting has a page to check your phone here for BYOD availability. Here's a GSM FAQ page, and a GSM compatibility/unlocking guide.

If you're switching to Ting:
1. They will pay a portion of your ETF if you're in a contract - 25% up to $75 of your Early Termination Fee.

2. You can also use this referral to save $25 when you join. :)

This could be really awesome. I especially like how my family could (apparently) use a mixture of GSM and CDMA devices. Now if someone would just sell a newer Android phone with a hardware keyboard, for either GSM or CDMA. My Motorola Photon Q (on Ting, of course!) is getting long-in-the-tooth, but I refuse to give it up.

Upvote 0
For better or for worst physical keyboards have gone the way of the Dodo. However a Google search did find the LG Optimus F3Q. Pretty much everything else is a Blackberry.

On the other hand - even my wife has made the move to a virtual keyboard thanks to larger screen sizes and apps like Swiftkey. If she can be okay with it - any one can.

Reactions: jae_63
Upvote 0
Now if someone would just sell a newer Android phone with a hardware keyboard, for either GSM or CDMA.

Besides the LG Optimus F3Q mentioned above, the only other recent 2012+ physical keyboard phones I could find that would work is the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G from T-Mobile, and the NEC Terrain from AT&T (but it's specs are not that good).

I'd also recommend trying a virtual keyboard - test out a friends or one at a phone store, they are easy to get used to :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones