• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gigg423

Jan 25, 2011
Has anyone looked at this? Sounds like a great alternative to VM.
Ting.com

It's an MVNO, that uses Sprint, but with very flexible plans and they discount if you go under your stated plan. The phone selection is not exactly what I want, but it looks better than VM.

I recently switched to Ting, I don't do contract phones, T-Mobile's signal at my house sucks ass, and the customer service at VM and Boost (being the same outsourced indian buffoons) is abysmal.

Went to ting, got a discount on my phone (samsung transform ultra) it took a little while to arrive because they had them on backorder, the phone actually was cheaper then the same phone on boost...

Unfortunately when it arrived the phone was damaged and could not be activated.

Sounds bad but wait....

Quick call to ting, no holding or automated system, they troubleshooted the phone to check the problem (the phone looked fine) once it was established that the phone itself was the issue they issued an RMA.
2 days later my new replacement phone arrived via fedex and the original one was shipped back to them free of charge (of course)
Phone was activated and haven't looked back since, coverage is great, made better by the fact that there i free roaming onto Verizon for talk & text

Last month's bill was $27, admittedly I'm not a heavy phone user and if you are it may work out more expensive than one of those "unlimited" plans, if you're not you could save quite a bit.

The following link will get you $25 off a phone when you order:
https://z14he95fc.ting.com/

Upvote 0
I would have switched to Ting but Sprints coverage in my area is ridiculous. Does anyone know of a company like Ting for Verizon?
Yeah. It is called Page Plus. Try it you'll like it. They'll take any CDMA phone... but Verizon phones work best. Everything works out of the box. Cant be bad esn.

If you have other CDMA phones (Sprint, etc) they do not care if it is bad esn... only thing is that programming it might be a bit difficult. Might not get reliable data or might get data and lose it at a later time. If it is Sprint/others you'll have to update the PRL manually before you can program it successfully. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I have to say I got snookered in by Tmobile, now I really regret that decision. Service is terrible, network coverage is worse than virgin mobile in my area (a major letdown!). I have decided to take the hit, cancel service early and switch to Ting. I am a light user so paying the 110 a month is insane. My bill for two phones on ting would have averaged like 30 bucks a month based on my current usage with t-mobile.

Upvote 0
I've been with Ting for 6 months now, in that time I have paid a grand total of...

$28.51
(and the price of the phone)

That was the first months bill, the bill for all the other months has been covered by referrals which is some kind of awesome. (This month's bill is also looking like it will be free or extremely cheap)

I'm not a heavy user so I am saving money over the other unlimited and prepaid phone plans hand over fist. Never looked back since switching.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones