• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(totally first world) Problems I have with Android

Gusta_Cz

Lurker
Jan 3, 2018
So after pretty much 5 years of not using Android... I'm back!

Before I begin I used to have this tablet with Android 4.0 and I loved it, well I also needed a phone, but didn't have much money so I bought me a Windows phone... Now before you start laughing at me I enjoyed that too, the only problem being lazy developers not developing apps for it, but I lived with it for quite a long time... Until I just wanted a new phone anyways, which is this one, Xiaomi Mi A1.

Going back to Android after all those years I expected it to have every feature I used and loved on Windows phone... But sadly Google did not quite deliver the perfect experience for me.

The things I'm missing:
Built in equalizer, if I recall correctly, Android 4 had it...
Night lights (Android 8 just got it)
Dark theme, this is something I love along with universally shared accent color on the WP, I'm not much of a fan of this white theme...
More versatile volume control, the steps are too big and the headphones are just too loud at the first step (which is 10%), on WP it used to be 30 steps volume, so you could mail the perfect volume with that.
YouTube app: no sharing at time, like c'mon Google some fan on WP made a nice looking and more functional app than you (myTube)

Things that kinda trigger me with the new Oreo update:
The battery percentage is not inside the battery icon
The up/down arrows aren't inside the WiFi icon, pushing other icons every second or so
The x above the signal scared me first but then I realized it's cuz my data is off, which do cost fortune anyways...
The icons broke and some apps I had installed are now inside a white circle instead the intended shape...
The annoying 'x is running on background' which I had to turn off.

This all is really nitpicking, but for someone who hasn't used Android for quite a while it's kind of turn-off that Google did not polish such things...

Anyways, it's not like I'm not happy for my new phone, it's just I'm this allergic to certain things but I can live with that...

Feel free to comment down your opinion or anything, really!

Seems like most of the above mentioned things are depended on the phone manufacturer and not Android

Agree with this guy... Also, you can fix pretty much all of these things but customizing your phone. Install Nova Launcher and download a dark theme from the play store and you're good to go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180103-213824.jpg
    Screenshot_20180103-213824.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 0
Seems like most of the above mentioned things are depended on the phone manufacturer and not Android

Usually I would say yes and blame Xiaomi. But the A1 is an Android One phone, which basically means it's supposed to be pure unadulterated Android, as Google intended it. https://www.android.com/one/ It's not running MIUI "Based on Android". Things like built-in equalizers ,and themes and skins, are something that manufacturers tend to add themselves, and so wouldn't be in vanilla Android that the A1 uses, and Google supports with direct OTA updates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones