• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Travel to US and phones

GalaxyS2Kent

Sep 2, 2011
England
I'm soon to travel to the US. Currently I have a Galaxy S4 on Tesco pay monthly contract. I also have my old Galaxy S2, unlocked, on no plan right now. I had planned to buy a pay-as-you-go SIM for my S2 at TMobile once I arrive there, and use that while I'm there. That would give me a local (Dallas, Texas) number, which would be much simpler for people there. However, I'll still have my S4 so people in the UK can call me.

Meanwhile, I've read about a SIM card called "Ready SIM" that you order online and it gives me a local (Dallas, TX) number that's cheaper than TMobile. I won't have a landline while I'm there, so will use my mobile exclusively. Has anyone heard of Ready SIM? And does anyone have a better solution? Thanks for any info or advice.

I guess it would depend on how you use your phone and how long you will be staying. From what I can see for a month Ready-SIM is $55, unlimited use. T-Mobile basic is $45 + $10 sim kit for 500MB/data. Straight Talk (AT&T) is $45 unlimited.

Which ever plan/carrier makes better sense for you, they all should work in your unlocked SGS2.

Reactions: GalaxyS2Kent
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones