• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Trouble with tethering

NeilG

Lurker
Nov 29, 2014
My wife bought a new Samsung tablet and when we tried to tether to her unlocked Galaxy SII on Consumer Cellular, it prompts to go to ATT.com. It tethers with my older Android phone no problem. Do we have to unlock the phone a different way, or is there something else to do? Thanks for the help.
Neil

This is directly from the Consumer Cellular Agreement ...

Furthermore, plans (unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/ smartphone to computer accessories, BLUETOOTH® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose.

Apparently CC bans tethering and you get the notice about AT&T because CC is an AT&T reseller.

Why it worked for one and not the other is because AT&T can recognize the Samsung tablet as not a phone and blocks the connection.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
This is directly from the Consumer Cellular Agreement ...

Apparently CC bans tethering and you get the notice about AT&T because CC is an AT&T reseller.

Why it worked for one and not the other is because AT&T can recognize the Samsung tablet as not a phone and blocks the connection.

Thanks. To make it clear to me, what you're saying is that the Galaxy is recognized as an ATT phone but not my old Atrix? The tethering worked fine with my phone. AND, would tethering work via USB and not Bluetooth?

Upvote 0
If i understood you, you have the SGS2 as the phone with the SIM in it and you are trying to tether the Atrix and/or the Samsung tablet to its data plan ... or are you saying that if you pit your AT&T sim in the Atrix then you can tether the tablet?
Yes, I am trying to tether the Samsung tablet to the SGS2 data plan. I can tether it to my Atrix (same data plan) no problem, but that's not the phone I want to do it with.

Upvote 0
I'm having this same question about an unlocked ATT phone. I think that it's the ATT software that wants to check you data plan to see if you are eligible for use as a mobile hotspot, before it turns the hotspot on. It wants to use the ATT network to check. We want to use our older unlocked Galaxy Note 2 on a trip to Italy. Is there a way to disable the ATT software? Or do we have to root and use a stock ROM?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones