• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turning old phone into a sim free, Bluetooth connected phone kit for new phone?

centricloon

Lurker
Nov 30, 2022
Something like turning my second phone into a car kit for my first phone.

I have a Oneplus 6, and have just upgraded to a Samsung S22 Ultra. The Oneplus 6 is tiny in comparrison, and much more portable.

I want to be able to have two phones but one number, but that is hugely expensive in the UK (£15 per month through Vodafone, plus I don't want to move to Vodafone), so an alternative would be to turn the Oneplus into the equivalent of a car bluetooth phone kit for the Samsung.

Is there any software out there that can do this?

The easiest would be to use Google Voice and forward your calls from your new phone to the OnePlus's Google Voice number.

I don't know if this second option would work, but have you tried just pairing the two phones together and setting the OnePlus as 'connected for phone calls' in the Samsung? This option would basically turn the OnePlus into a wireless speakerphone.

Upvote 0
Pair your OnePlus to your Samsung the same way you'd pair a set of earbuds. (turn on OnePlus's bluetooth and check the 'visible' option. go to the Samsung and scan for bluetooth devices, and tap the OnePlus's name) The device should show up in the Bluetooth settings as 'connected'. If you tap that, you get a sub-menu that allows it to be connected for phone calls or as a media device. Check phone calls. The OnePlus is now a Bluetooth Speaker for phone calls.

Upvote 0
I guess that "using a phone as a Bluetooth car kit" means that you have the OnePlus connected to the car rather than the Galaxy and then a Bluetooth connection between them? Doesn't seem a huge advantage over just plugging the Galaxy in instead. In any event I don't know of any software that can do this.

As for choosing a different phone when you go out, you can do that by swapping the SIM to a different handset. Without the SIM there's no connection to the mobile network, so even if you could make it act as a Bluetooth-connected "slave" handset you'd have to carry both phones rather than just one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah, thanks for that, sadly it doesn't give the option.

It feels like there should be an easy solution to this! I have several phones, it would be great to have them scattered round the house, or choose a different phone when going out, depending on need.
Just to clarify, are you stating that you can't use Bluetooth to pair up your Galaxy S22 Ultra to your OnePlus 6 at all? Also, you're implying that you only take one phone with you when going elsewhere, in which case Bluetooth isn't an option. Its coverage range is limited so both phones need to be within a few hundred meters of each other before the Bluetooth connection breaks. (both phones have Bluetooth ver. 5.x so perhaps 200-400 meters)
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s22_ultra_5g-11251.php
https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_6-9109.php

Use your Galaxy S22 U as the primary Bluetooth and pair your OnePlus to it as the secondary, your Galaxy has a newer version, with longer range.
WiFi connectivity will provide a lot longer coverage range but if you only take one phone with you outside your home that's a null issue too. With just one phone in your car, cellular is your best alternative.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
OP wants to use the smaller, more easier to use one-handed OnePlus phone as a hands-free speaker paired to his S22 for convenience. Basically use the OnePlus like a headset for the S22; keep the impractically larger phone stowed and use the smaller phone as a wireless speaker for phone calls.

Quite honestly it's an ingenius idea. I might be able to finally resurrect my HTC Thunderbolt again just using it as a wireless speaker! Maybe I'll get lucky.

Reactions: centricloon
Upvote 0
I'm looking for the same solution. My old car does not have Bluetooth but it does have aux. I'd like to permanently hook up an old phone on the dashboard that works as a Bluetooth receiver to answer calls and get them channeled out through the car speakers.
the phone would have to have a headphone jack. the phone would also need to be at least Volte compatible. 3G is no longer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones