• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Twinkies Nutrition?

I'm old enough that when I hear "Twinkies" it conjures two memories. One of course is the infamous "Twinkie Defense."

The other is a personal one from my grade school years when someone was getting into my lunch and stealing them (I think I had a two-pack maybe one day a week) while I'd be playing before school. In response, my mom hit on an idea. She managed to open the pack cleanly and slit the pair on their backside, scooping out most of the filling and mixing it with garlic powder, then reinserting it carefully and sealing the slit with powdered sugar and water, and resealing the package with some kind of glue (maybe rubber glue?). Next day at school I dropped my bag and went and played, forgetting all about it. When I got back and saw the bag disturbed I remembered and looked in, there was the pack of Twinkies, one still in the pack, the other thrown back in the sack with a bite missing! I laughed and then later at lunch traded the "unbitten" Twinkie to another kid for his apple (I told him it didn't taste right to me). Believe it or not he ate all of it without visibly noticing or commenting! My mom was really clever and remembering this again makes me miss her all the more.

Thanks for the memory!

Upvote 0
The nutrition information on a box of Twinkies really should read: Nutrition, what's that?
Never read it - not sure I've ever seen a packet in real life.

This reminds me of the "McLibel" trial in the UK, when McDonalds sued a pair of activists who were criticising the company. Lawyers for McDonalds defended the corporation's claim that their food constituted a nutritious meal by arguing that it was true because the food contained nutrients - an argument that summed-up the whole case, since whether the court accepted it as technically correct or not it was utterly self-defeating and a PR disaster. This led to the McDonalds representative being asked whether they could name any food that did not contain nutrients (for the record they wondered whether black tea would count, but weren't sure).

Funny the things you remember even after 25 years.

Upvote 0
Never read it - not sure I've ever seen a packet in real life.

This reminds me of the "McLibel" trial in the UK, when McDonalds sued a pair of activists who were criticising the company. Lawyers for McDonalds defended the corporation's claim that their food constituted a nutritious meal by arguing that it was true because the food contained nutrients - an argument that summed-up the whole case, since whether the court accepted it as technically correct or not it was utterly self-defeating and a PR disaster. This led to the McDonalds representative being asked whether they could name any food that did not contain nutrients (for the record they wondered whether black tea would count, but weren't sure).

Funny the things you remember even after 25 years.
downloadfile.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones