• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable To Restore Whatsapp Backup From Google Drive

Hi, this is my first post and I'm not sure whether to put it in the Google Drive forums or Whatsapp forums, sorry about that :) (also I type sorta narratively so this is gonna be LONG sorry)

Last night I deleted Whatsapp from my phone in an attempt to restore a chat I had impulsively cleared and wanted back. I reinstalled it a few minutes later to try and use an old backup to restore aforementioned chat from Google Drive.
Now, whenever I open Whatsapp to try and restore my backup, it checks for the account verification and then it creates a popup that prompts me to sign into my Google Drive account. When I click to sign in, it brings up a screen to select the account I want to use, but instead of showing my account it just says "Add Account." (I can provide screenshots if needed).

If I try to put in my Google account details (email) on the screen that appears once i click Add Account, it just says that the account is already logged into my phone and doesn't let me continue. When I tried to remove my account from my phone and sign in, it let me continue but once I got to the part where it said "Google Services" and started loading it just froze and took me back to the prompt to restore a backup.

I've tried removing the google accounts linked to my phone to see if it was just not letting me see them all, but it didn't work. Does anyone here know how to fix this?

Is the Google account you backed up Whatsapp to Google Drive the same as the Google account on your phone?

Uninstall WhatsApp on your phone, then restart your phone,
Go to the Google Play Store, install WhatsApp,
Open WhatsApp and try to restore chats from Google Drive.

EDIT: Yes, it's the same account.

I just tried that after reading it. Unfortunately it did not work. Thank you for trying to help me though!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EDIT: Yes, it's the same account.

I just tried that after reading it. Unfortunately it did not work. Thank you for trying to help me though!!

Whatsapp also saves chats locally (and daily) (either SD or internal memory). GD backups are once a week, I think.

I will try this: if you haven't backed up to Google Drive since you erase that chat, you can restore that backup into another PHONE. In my experience, when you uninstall Whatsapp, local backups remain and when you reinstall WA within the same phone, it will use that local backup, compare it to GD and restore messages and media according to date.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones