• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unimpressed with Android 4.2!

Hey guys,
Today I got to play with a mates Nexus 4 running Android Jellybean 4.2 and I have to say it's left me a bit underwhelmed!
Two things really stand out to me.
1) The new notification pull down. I like having the toggles at the top for wifi, bluetooth etc - they aren't there in 4.2. You have to open them from the notification bar.
2) When viewing running apps by holding down home button on 4.1 there is an option to clear all. This ain't there in 4.2 - you have to swipe each one away separately. Not major but an inconvenience all the same.
The other thing is the new camera controls. I don't like them. Maybe it's a personal thing and others will but I much prefer the controls on my S3 running 4.1
Other than that I quite liked the Nexus 4. Feels nice in the hand with quite a nice weight to it. It looks a lot better than I expected with glass front and back.
For £289 sim free for the 16gb version is a such a bargain I'm thinking of getting one for my work phone, if the ever come back in Stock at the Play Store!

Hey guys,
Today I got to play with a mates Nexus 4 running Android Jellybean 4.2 and I have to say it's left me a bit underwhelmed!
Two things really stand out to me.
1) The new notification pull down. I like having the toggles at the top for wifi, bluetooth etc - they aren't there in 4.2. You have to open them from the notification bar.
2) When viewing running apps by holding down home button on 4.1 there is an option to clear all. This ain't there in 4.2 - you have to swipe each one away separately. Not major but an inconvenience all the same.
The other thing is the new camera controls. I don't like them. Maybe it's a personal thing and others will but I much prefer the controls on my S3 running 4.1
Other than that I quite liked the Nexus 4. Feels nice in the hand with quite a nice weight to it. It looks a lot better than I expected with glass front and back.
For £289 sim free for the 16gb version is a such a bargain I'm thinking of getting one for my work phone, if the ever come back in Stock at the Play Store!

youre compating AOSP 4.2 to Touch Wiz 4.1....completely different beasts...

Reactions: davoid
Upvote 0
The Nexus 4 runs AOSP Android, consider it the official Android with the official features. Our S3 runs TW Android, which is customized by Samsung and most of its features are unique to only Samsung phones. The toggles up in the notification area are there because Samsung decided to have them. The camera app too. Other features such as the Multi-Windows are also Samsung-only. You won't find them on Nexus devices. When Samsung will update the S3 to 4.2, it won't look like the Nexus 4 at all, it will be much similar to your current S3 with ICS or JB 4.1.

Upvote 0
Many features that you find absent are added into custom ROMs for the nexus.

The great thing about nexus devices is the lightning fast upgrades directly from Google, and the huge developer support. If you aren't into rooting, the s3 (or any of the manufacturer skins) is a better choice for sheer usability.

My nexus 7 got the 4.1.2, 4.2, and 4.2.1 upgrades the same day they were announced.

Upvote 0
Another thing that was missing was the option to restart the phone from the menu when you hold the power button down.
I guess I didn't realise how much of my phone is down to Touchwiz and not Android... But if these great features are missing from pure Android I'm glad I'm running an S3 and not a Nexus!

While some don't like touchwiz, I thought Samsung did a bang up job on it for the GS3. There are many features I compare to friends with the Nexus and they simply don't have them but are very impressed with what they see on the GS3. I used to be a pure Google fan starting with the OG Droid. Then even more of a fan of it with the Droid 3 (Moto blur is the WORST) but with the GS3, I have not had any inclination to go stock Android at all. In fact, I think (shutter the thought, I know) going to stock would be a *downgrade* for the GS3. That is just my opinion but I'm sticking with it.

Upvote 0
While some don't like touchwiz, I thought Samsung did a bang up job on it for the GS3. There are many features I compare to friends with the Nexus and they simply don't have them but are very impressed with what they see on the GS3. I used to be a pure Google fan starting with the OG Droid. Then even more of a fan of it with the Droid 3 (Moto blur is the WORST) but with the GS3, I have not had any inclination to go stock Android at all. In fact, I think (shutter the thought, I know) going to stock would be a *downgrade* for the GS3. That is just my opinion but I'm sticking with it.
The people who dont like touchwiz dont know what it is. They heard how bad it was 2 years ago and think its the same thing, or they had someone with an iphone tell them how they dont like touchwiz, so by default think they must not like it. i cannot tell you how many times that has happened to me

Upvote 0
Personally, I'm not a fan of touchwiz. Everyone has their preferences.

My father loves his s3 though.

Curious...what about TW don't you like?

I like my GS3 and the "touchwiz". I have a friend with a Note 2, does it use "touchwiz" too, or does it have something else?

Yes, the Note 2 also runs touch wiz

Reactions: TalkieToaster
Upvote 0
The people who dont like touchwiz dont know what it is. They heard how bad it was 2 years ago and think its the same thing, or they had someone with an iphone tell them how they dont like touchwiz, so by default think they must not like it. i cannot tell you how many times that has happened to me

A dislike for bloated software is not something you would expect from people who "dont know what it is". Google did not half-build Android for Samsung to finish off, yet they obsessed over making it "customised".

It's just like buying a PC from any manufacturer, Windows is crippled to varying degrees from day 1 by the "features" that are roughly coded on top. As for the quality and efficiency of the code forced in by Samsung - well, judging by Kies, it would leave Google developers in tears.

Google know how to make interfaces, they know how to make apps. Samsung know how to make hardware. The two together would be great, but Samsung seem to have taken it upon themselves to become the next Apple with the hardware/software combination, and new "Samsung ecosphere" they're trying to push with all the Samsung services shoved onto their devices.

I use Nova Launcher to hide the childish look of TW, and disable as much of TW as possible through the app manager. The rest, for now, is fine.

It all depends on the end user, though. I'm a web developer so am quite into the techie stuff. For an average consumer, TouchWiz is very simple and helps to navigate Android. It's personal, not just "everyone likes TW, or they're wrong" as CrimsonPride argued.

Upvote 0
Curious...what about TW don't you like?

To me, touchwiz looks like it was designed by crayola. Its way too bright and child like. Many will disagree, and others dislike sense, but at least from a pure looks standpoint I prefer it. And I prefer aosp above all else.

That's what's great about android. We have many decisions we can make. This isn't one size fits all. :)

Upvote 0
To say Samsung doesn't know how to code is a bit too much.

Never said that.

Other than judging by the quality of Kies, I have no other way to form my opinion. Kies is horrifically unreliable and widely accepted as a poor piece of software. The OS X version of Kies still contains Apple's dummy code within the bundle.

It would be unrealistic to say that Samsung "doesn't know how to code" since they are in a financial situation to buy in talent. Whether they focus attention on software quality is another matter.

Upvote 0
A dislike for bloated software is not something you would expect from people who "dont know what it is". Google did not half-build Android for Samsung to finish off, yet they obsessed over making it "customised".

It's just like buying a PC from any manufacturer, Windows is crippled to varying degrees from day 1 by the "features" that are roughly coded on top. As for the quality and efficiency of the code forced in by Samsung - well, judging by Kies, it would leave Google developers in tears.

Google know how to make interfaces, they know how to make apps. Samsung know how to make hardware. The two together would be great, but Samsung seem to have taken it upon themselves to become the next Apple with the hardware/software combination, and new "Samsung ecosphere" they're trying to push with all the Samsung services shoved onto their devices.

I use Nova Launcher to hide the childish look of TW, and disable as much of TW as possible through the app manager. The rest, for now, is fine.

It all depends on the end user, though. I'm a web developer so am quite into the techie stuff. For an average consumer, TouchWiz is very simple and helps to navigate Android. It's personal, not just "everyone likes TW, or they're wrong" as CrimsonPride argued.
That is not my argument, i meant that most people who dislike it do not konw what it is. and a dislike for their 'bloatware' is not entirely warranted, most of the samsung apps arent bad, but they can be disabled with no root, so if that is the only complaint its not all that big of one. if you were on android 4.2 you wouldnt even have the entire month of december on your phone until the update was released. and i never said the touchwiz launcher looked great either, but that is just the very tip of touchwiz. the notification bar, camera, soon to have multiple window capabilities, the ability to have the pop out video, the motion features, and more are not available in stock android. stuff like a launcher can be changed in a matter of minutes, and apps can be disabled in a matter of minutes, youll likely never get that stuff on a stock phone, is all im saying

Upvote 0
I personally think that new touch wiz or whatever they want to call it is nice BUT after using CM10 (4.1) there are a few things I noticed...

First of which is I have yet to see ANY lag, from home screen scrolling to opening apps..... Its just fast.

Although making folders in 4.1 is a bit touchy (have to move the icons around sometimes to overlap) the folders themselves are very nice and over all more intuitive to make.

Not being able to clear all apps with a touch of a button got to me as well until I realized I didn't need to anymore! I have yet had to close anything to gain system resources.

The text messenger is a toss up.. Because it wants to send all of my pics in landscape even if they were taken in portrait... I HATE that. But the quick reply from the notification bar is a really neat addon and the messenger it self is clean and easy to read.

The notification bar took a bit to get used to given all the info but once I understood what was what I really like having a bit more info and being able to do more from that area is nice!

I've been messing with the 4.2 camera app, after getting used to the controls I can honestly say I like it better. Although it FCs on me every once in a while (was not designed to be used with my ROM). Photosphere is quite nice and I do actually use it. Although I do miss the stock camera app just because it seems to take better pics with it (could be my imagination).

I like the lock screen options, Its getting closer to widget locker.

The addons that Samsung have added are really nice but I can't say I miss any of them directly.

IMHO, the Nexus 4 and stock android 4.1 - 4.2 is impressive because of whats NOT on it instead of what is. Its a very simple and smooth experience. If Sammy gave the choice I would be pick stock over TW at this point (Not before 4.1 though).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones