• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update has broke my phone???

I updated my Samsung galaxy S8 on the 6th of April. After doing the update, my screen become irratic, the touch worked in certain places then didn't and was pressing in the wrong place from where I was touching (if that makes any sense)

It then started flickering when turning the screen on and off and a couple of times just flickered black and white for a few minutes before actually coming on.

On the 9th of April the screen has completely gone, it just flickers green and white from 5cm down all they way to the bottom. I can still see my wallpaper behind the flickering. Weirdly the phone still works and I can see the apps opening in the background where I press but I can't see what I'm doing.

I do have a crack in my screen but that has been there since November and never caused any issues. Weirdly my friend updated her S8+ last week and her phone started flickering when the screen was turned off and her phone is now obsolete too.

Anyone else experienced this ??

It's called "the technician effect": when you try to show the problem to someone else it goes away ;)

Seriously, unless you got a corrupted install (and I'd hope they check integrity before installing) it's most likely some incompatibility with some data on the phone. So if it starts again back everything up (hey, why not do it now while it's working? Backups are always a good idea ;)), then go into recovery mode and wipe the cache (which won't lose anything of significance), and if that doesn't work try a factory reset (which is why you'd want a backup). That should deal with any data incompatibility.

But hopefully it's clear now and you won't have any issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones