• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updates, CoolWalk and More!

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    www.glwilkie.com
    As Android Auto continues to improve, I was nicely surprised after updating it to 8.8.6 (via APK MIrror). I got in the car and there's a taskbar along the bottom! Instead of just one app on the screen and one icon at the bottom, four icons are there. It's a nice, clean look.

Sometimes the taskbar freezes up and doesn't respond to touch (not in my Ford Explorer, running it through AA Wireless... but perhaps it's a next-step toward the CoolWalk UI with multiple windows open at the same time. CoolWalk, however, is a server-side switch and Google is being agonizingly slow about the rollout.

Do you have CoolWalk yet? If so, how do you like it?

No Coolwalk yet which is fine with me I think. I'm usually all excited to get updated stuff but I'm just not sure this will matter to me. I only really ever have tunes playing (Pandora/PowerAmp), I've set my Android Auto up so Maps doesn't run all the time. I hate that. Google doesn't need to follow me to the store and gather info about the inane places I go to. Too much info sharing with them is too much. So, I just need 1 screen unless I'm actually using Maps but then I'm able to control the music on the steering wheel. I'm sure it's s nice update but not something I'm dying to get.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones