• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upload but no download on "3G" signal

Tattycakes

Dec 28, 2011
UK
Hi,

I'm trying out the 3 network with my HTC and it's absolutely amazing, better speed and signal than O2 and giffgaff!

The only problem is that sometimes the phone shows a 3G signal and the white 'uploading' arrow is flickering, but the down arrow is greyed out and webpages and videos just won't load. This can last for several minutes, or until I turn the internet off and on again. Once it switches to a "H" instead of 3G, the data starts downloading again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Self-bump as this is still happening three months later. I've even ordered a brand new SIM and transferred my number over, and done a full factory reset and put the APN settings back in, still no fix. The signal itself is fine, and it happens randomly at home, and at work, and when walking between the two.

It could be my handset but I never had this problem before I moved to 3... do I move to another network or what?

Upvote 0
Although you say "upload" works I suspect it doesn't. The indicator shows the phone is attempting to communicate and shouldn't be taken to mean that data is actually being received by anything.

I've used 3 for several years and rarely have issues, but since they discontinued all 2G support via other networks some time ago (they have no 2G of their own) I've noticed that ordinary 3G can be a bit iffy and sometimes non-existent even though the phone shows a connection.

Most of the time it isn't a problem and the network performance is way better than the competition most of the time, so I still find 3 overall the best network overall for my uses.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones