• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

US Cellular fan thread

Jeremy1976, what if US Cellular announced, while it was in testing, that an update was estimated to be released in two weeks, because that was when the tests would be complete. Then, in the last days of the test, a major problem was discovered. You'd be unhappy if it were announced that the update could not be released on time, and probably even more angry if the update were released, on schedule, with the major flaw included. This is probably why an estimated release date has not been announced.

Well I don't know about Rasmith3530 but I disagree. I would rather have them telling us an estimated date and move it forward if they had to. Least I would feel better knowing they're in fact working on it. Besides dates can be changed to fix things, Blizzard knows this all too well.

That is another fault with US Cellular they don't know how to hype their products. The Desire was announced officially maybe 2 weeks before it launched (might of been less time than that now that I think about it) dates are important for customers. Most people like to look forward to something on their calendar or like myself appreciate the time to gather some extra cash together. Who knows how many customers they might of saved by having an official date for the Desire.

All we US Cellular customers have is rumors and speculation we gather from digging on the Internet. By digging I do mean digging because news seems to be harder to get for our carrier since its not in the top 3.

I know this may seem outrageous and we all know it might never happen but having them be not as big as the others could work in their favor. If US Cellular was to take polls on what phones we wanted to see in the future or had a blog of some sorts showing future phones in the testing processes people might feel closer to the company and would be more likely to stay. Plus it would serve as our news platform since big sites rarely cover US Cellular.

Sorry for the rant just ideas I guess in case the right people might read this.

Upvote 0
Hi there. I am a US Cellular customer in Edenton, NC. I have been searching the forums for an answer on how to uninstall the Twidroid application that came installed with my Samsung Acclaim Android. The only reason that I am interested in uninstalling this application is that I have attempted to install the Twidroyd Pro (which I purchased) and it was unable to complete the installation due to the presence of the original Twidroid. I have spent ALL morning searching everywhere on the net...no luck! The root issue is really not something I want to get in to, due to the warranty void and the one set of instructions that I found that told me to go to "Settings > Applications > Twidroid > Uninstall"...didn't work for me because I can't find an uninstall anywhere. ARGH...please help! Thanks bunches!!!! :)

Upvote 0
I've been a US Cellular customer since the late '90s. They have always had the best coverage in my area (except around Charlotte, which is bad since my wife's family is there). I've enjoyed my HTC Desire over the several weeks that I've owned it.

I have a couple issues I need to work out, but I'm dreading calling customer service.
  1. I can't get my phone to go to Google Voicemail. I can call my own number or *86 from my phone and get the Google vmail, but if someone calls in to my phone it rings and rings. If I decline the call it hangs up on the caller.
  2. I can't get 3G service even though the USC map says we have it here. My phone always says 1x where it should show 3G.

Of course I'm a little annoyed at how long its taking to get Froyo too.

Overall positive experience.

Upvote 0
I've been a US Cellular customer since the late '90s. They have always had the best coverage in my area (except around Charlotte, which is bad since my wife's family is there). I've enjoyed my HTC Desire over the several weeks that I've owned it.

I have a couple issues I need to work out, but I'm dreading calling customer service.
  1. I can't get my phone to go to Google Voicemail. I can call my own number or *86 from my phone and get the Google vmail, but if someone calls in to my phone it rings and rings. If I decline the call it hangs up on the caller.
  2. I can't get 3G service even though the USC map says we have it here. My phone always says 1x where it should show 3G.

Of course I'm a little annoyed at how long its taking to get Froyo too.

Overall positive experience.

Pir8 97 im in Greenville also and we do get 3g try dialing *228 to update your phone. You will need to do this at least once before you will get 3g usually with new phones.

Upvote 0
I was in the store this morning and they said at the end of the year. They have a few questions for Android on how to update, whether wifi or usb...etc...etc... i have a HTC Desire and do not have the ability to go check for updates as specified in the HTC manual. Home>menu>settings>about phone>system software updates. therefore I am not sure how to update when it does come out.

I do know that the new Froyo is to be a huge plus.

K

Upvote 0
I cannot believe they do not have a estimated date of when it will be released. Whats the big secret??? The Froyo is def. needed. I barely have anything in my phone and have got the "low on memory" warning a couple times, only to have to delete some apps to download others.

I was in the store this morning and they said at the end of the year. They have a few questions for Android on how to update, whether wifi or usb...etc...etc... i have a HTC Desire and do not have the ability to go check for updates as specified in the HTC manual. Home>menu>settings>about phone>system software updates. therefore I am not sure how to update when it does come out.

I do know that the new Froyo is to be a huge plus.

K

Upvote 0
Ive been a customer for about the past 8 years. Best coverage in Illinois that I have seen. I dont get all the dropped calls like some people I know. The only thing they lack is the latest and greatest phones and timely software updates. I am happy that they want to test the software before releasing it, as untested software causes major problems for a lot of people. Overall I am very happy with US Cellular. I will take great coverage over anything else, any day. What good is a really cool phone if it wont work?? Cant wait for Froyo though!!

Upvote 0
Greenville, NC does have proper 3G coverage, even out in Chocowinity. But it's not actually 3G, it's EVDO which is supposed to be the same thing. The Acclaim won't say 3G in place of 1X, it'll say EV.

I didn't have to *228 my Acclaim to get EVDO. But I had to do that with my old Motorola ROKR.

Upvote 0
I live in South Central Missouri right on the Missouri/Arkansas STate Lines. I started with US Cellular in 2007, I had a raz'r. When upgrade came, I got a samsung two step. We cancelled our service due to my husband losing his job, and just recently got service with them again. I'm enjoying the Belief points & we both got Samsung Acclaim phones. Still playing with them, and trying to figure them out completely (hence why I am here), but we love them so far!

Upvote 0
I work at a store that has a US Cellular side and as far as I can tell Froyo might be here by the end of December.

you gotta give USC credit for even taking on the android market... its new to them they are just trying to get it right... instead of shutting down your entire area with a poorly managed software push...

Supposedly some users already have had it pushed out to them as a sort of a "test" group but as far as we can tell we have no idea exactly when or how fast it will be pushed out.

our US Cellular rep for our region doesn't even know. So obviously there are a whole bunch of techies down by Chicago all freaking out trying to get this thing pushed out but they can't yet. So be patient it could even be as far out as a couple months from now... Sorry to be the barer of bad news...

Your USC upater dude...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones